„Lost a screw? Buy a new derailleur!“

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
If you know you need an M4 screw, any decent hardware shop should be able to provide something suitable.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Any decent bike shop should be able to replace a single screw, a really good one wouldn't even charge you if you are a returning customer, but then again you talking about London, not somewhere civilised.... :tongue:

Norm

HJ said:
Any decent bike shop should be able to replace a single screw, a really good one wouldn't even charge you if you are a returning customer, but then again you talking about London, not somewhere civilised.... :tongue:
+1 to that. I've had no end of little bits like nuts, screws (fnaar) and cable ends fitted free or added to the bag for spares when I've bought mudguards etc.

I even got a Christmas card from my LBS! :wacko: Although that did make the wife reach for the credit card statement. :smile: :laugh:

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
My LBS in Old Hayes (Kent) are very good about keeping my SMGTe on the road. Seems if I go in with the exact name of the part I need, they give it me. If I go in with an approximation, they give me a few. Cleat screws, bolts, washers, spokes, all applies.

Once every couple of months, I go in, buy a few energy bars and give them a fiver. I'm sure it messes up their accounts, but I can't find a better way of giving them my custom. There just aren't that many purchases that I actually need to make. :biggrin:

PpPete

Legendary Member
I make a point of buying the odd low cost item in my LBS.... things where difference between online and their price is not going to break the bank. Last time it was 1 brake inner cable at £2.50 instead of £1.50 - £2.00
In return they've rmoved several "stuck" parts for me, fork crown race, BB cup, old freewheels, pedals (before I figured out how to do that for myself), and provided a couple of small bits from parts bin all FOC. AND I get a friendly hello everytime now....they used to be real snooty, as you'd kind of expect with a shop full of fancy carbon and me bringing in bits of rusting steel !

Mind you I did get extra street cred when I went down there on my fixed....

ASC1951

Guru
Tollers said:
That'll be a no then. Sorry, just noticed you were from south croydon so was wondering where you went to school.
My uncle Frank was Senior Chemistry Master at Whitgift up to the late 60s, if that helps. :thumbsup:

02GF74

Über Member
I reckon that is quirte common. If you had lost a screw from your toaster or even the mains plug and went to John Lewis, or any other shop, and asked for replacement, you'd get the same answer.

How many different screws, bolts springs etc. does a shop need to stock for every possible bike part they sell?

You know the screw size then best place is to go to a shop specializing in screws.

If you have trouble finding replcmeent, then PM me and I shoudl be able to source one that is identical or very similar.

hubgearfreak

Über Member
02GF74 said:
I reckon that is quirte common. If you had lost a screw from your toaster or even the mains plug and went to John Lewis, or any other shop, and asked for replacement, you'd get the same answer.

the differences are;

a bicycle that's £100s is meant to have parts of it wear out, be consumable and be replaced. a bike shop also has bike tools, mechanics and spare parts.

a £20 toaster doesn't have consumable parts that are meant to be replaced, nor does john lewis have toaster tools, spare and mechanics

they're not the same at all

OP
OP
redfalo

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
02GF74 said:

How many different screws, bolts springs etc. does a shop need to stock for every possible bike part they sell?

You know the screw size then best place is to go to a shop specializing in screws.

If you have trouble finding replcmeent, then PM me and I shoudl be able to source one that is identical or very similar.

That´s an intersting comparison. It shows very nicely where the whole think boils down to: it´s the self-conception of the bike shop which matters. If they consider themself as a mere merchant who sells bikes and parts, your argument is completely right. Then it´s rather supid to ask for a single screw. (You wouldn´t to that with an online shop, would you?)

However, if the bike shop sees itself as someone who delivers services related to bikes, it´s different. Then he (hopefully) looks for the best possible solution for his customer. (definitvly not selling a new derailleur when one simple screw is lost). For example, a few years ago I ruined an important screw of the Tubus rack of my wifes bike one day prior to a 3-weeks-trip to Norway. "My" bikeshop did not have the spare part in stock. They did not try to sell me new rack but unscrewed the part from a new one. (Afterwards I was recommending the shop as often as I could, BTW)

If there is a bike shop in central London with a similar spirit, please let me know.

Thanks for the help offered with regard of getting hold of the screw. I bought some which fit at a screwshop. Unfortunately, they´re not made of stainless steel. Since I happend to be in Germany this week I made a visit to my old bike shop. The owner admitted that it is really hard to officially order suchs parts. But he has a box where he collects used parts from bikes which he services and instantly found a chromed screw which perfectly fits to my derailleur.

Top Bottom