1.5 metres ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

I hope the Devil is paying you well for your advocacy, @Phaeton ;)
Not really I'm all for making cycling safer, but I just don't think a mandatory 1.5M is the answer, as people have already said, a 2ft pass at 15 mph is completely different to a 60MPH at 1.5M

Agreed, unless you are in Australia (I think)
Parts of Australia, for example Queensland ...

2014-04-07-1-metre-rule.jpg

When my friend was knocked down by a close pass, I heard the driver say to the police "I gave her plenty of room", which is of course nonsense, or she wouldn't have been in an ambulance while he was saying this. But if there was a clear law saying what "enough" was, then at least law abiding drivers would start giving us enough room.

And even if they only ever booked drivers who actually hit cyclists, I think the law would still have good effect.

No, if the law is 1.5M then the law is 1.5M there can be no discussion on it, if you are on a cycle lane & passing the inside of a stationery/queuing car then one of you is breaking the law.
Okay so you're doing 12MPH on a cycleway at the side of a road, there's a car that wants to overtake you, because of the traffic he/she is doing 15MPH by your definition this is not dangerous, yet if this is enacted they would still have to leave 1.5M
You seem to have drafted a bad law in your head, and are now complaining about it.

This is what is known as a strawman argument.

It would be easy to draft a law that would get around the problems you have invented: like speeding, it would only apply to mechanically propelled vehicles (maybe specifically excluding electrical bikes speed limited to 25kph); you only have to give way to bicycles in the same carriageway.

The law, if it's ever enacted will be carefully worded and done with public and/or cycling organisation consultation.

We need to be wary, though. As far as I can tell, the close passing laws in Australia were introduced as a token to appease cyclists who were the real targets of the new laws.

D

Deleted member 1258

I was weaned on miles. Despite that, it feels medieval.

(dodged a bullet, my year was the first that didn't learn miles. My teachers knew fark all about the metric system, so I learnt about hecta/hecti/centa/centi etc. Metric is way more complex than SI.

We were taught both imperial and metric, and I'm still confused by metric measurements, in imperial I have an idea of what the measurements are, but with metric I need to convert it to imperial to understand it.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...

1.5 INCHES is absolutely fine as long as the vehicle is doing a slow enough (relative) speed

To insist on some arbitry minimum is ludicrous.
relative speed? While I might not mind a car passing me closely at 1mph when I am not moving, I would not be happy with a car giving me only a couple of centimetres passing me at 26mph when I am going at 25mph, especially considering I would be going down hill, with a tailwind :smile:

D

Deleted member 26715

You seem to have drafted a bad law in your head, and are now complaining about it.
I will bow to your far better knowledge than me. I shall not offer any other comments, please in future indicate which debates I am allowed to post in.

Alan O

Über Member
We were taught both imperial and metric, and I'm still confused by metric measurements, in imperial I have an idea of what the measurements are, but with metric I need to convert it to imperial to understand it.
For me it's a kind of weird 50/50, probably thanks to the UK's botched semi-metrication happening over the period of my education.

For weight, it's kgs - I really don't grok stones and pounds, and I have to convert to have any idea what it means. Similarly, for fluids I think in litres - unless it's draft beer, when it's pints (but bottled beer obviously comes in 500ml bottles).

For distance it's miles. My wife is from a country that uses km, and I spend a lot of time there - but in terms of how long a ride feels, I can only do it in miles.

And as for landed herring, well, obviously I only use the cran.

Top Bottom