1.5 metres ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I will bow to your far better knowledge than me. I shall not offer any other comments, please in future indicate which debates I am allowed to post in.
I have reread what I wrote, and I don't understand this reaction.

You made some points. I did not agree with those points, so composed a carefully reasoned argument against it. That is the definition of a debate. If you think people who disagree with you are bullies, then I don't think you should join in debates.

I'm now wondering what you think a debate is. Is it where you make points, and everyone agrees with you? Or just ignores you? I'd like to be able to join in a debate with you without upsetting you, if you will tell me how.

dickyknees

Guru
I wonder how many motorists, coach and lorry drivers are actually aware of it ? On my ride this afternoon, on the A470 , I lost count of the number of cars and coaches passing me just 1 foot away. I know I am a OAP but I intend to live a few more years yet.

I see your point but have avoided the A470 like the plague in the past.

the whole point of the law would be to protect vulnerable Road users as has obviously been said, I think if those vulnerable users needed to give the same gap then all motorists would then have to expect vulnerable Road users to always be more than 1.5m from any kerb or vehicle, which would basically mean you cannot overtake.... I'm 1.5 metres from kerb heck there's not even 1.5 metres between me and vehicles passing in the other direction on a lot of roads, so do they stop and reverse?

The law would apply to motor vehicles that are licensed to use the roads, and be there to protect vulnerable users...

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I've said it before and I'll say it again...

1.5 INCHES is absolutely fine as long as the vehicle is doing a slow enough (relative) speed

To insist on some arbitry minimum is ludicrous.

All laws are to some extent arbitrary. There has to be some generalisation. For instance that's why speed limits mostly vary by 10mph not smaller units.

This police campaign is good in that it raises motorists' awareness of cyclists and will encourage them to treat us with more courtesy, or at least caution.

classic33

Leg End Member
You seem to have drafted a bad law in your head, and are now complaining about it.

This is what is known as a strawman argument.

It would be easy to draft a law that would get around the problems you have invented: like speeding, it would only apply to mechanically propelled vehicles (maybe specifically excluding electrical bikes speed limited to 25kph); you only have to give way to bicycles in the same carriageway.

The law, if it's ever enacted will be carefully worded and done with public and/or cycling organisation consultation.

We need to be wary, though. As far as I can tell, the close passing laws in Australia were introduced as a token to appease cyclists who were the real targets of the new laws.
A cyclist is supposed to be given as much room by a driver as they'd give to any other road user.

For some reason, we seldom seem to be given the same. Which takes us back to instruction given/received whilst learning to drive.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
A cyclist is supposed to be given as much room by a driver as they'd give to any other road user.

For some reason, we seldom seem to be given the same. Which takes us back to instruction given/received whilst learning to drive.
Hence the issue. This is only advice in the **highway code, there is no law requiring it.

**I can't think of a single driver in/around my family/friend/work circles with as indepth knowledge of the HC as me, one of those is an ex cop! Some of them have been driving 40+ years. Seems like you have to want to educate yourself beyond the bare minimum required for driving tests, even then you have to apply the theory in practice or it was a waste of time.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Not so much educate myself past the bare minimum, but to get it included in the practical side of the test.

I've never taken a driving test(practical) in my life. I don't drive.

PK99

Legendary Member
I agree with all the comments re close passes, but sometimes cyclists do themselves no favours wrt antagonising motorists.

A few week ago MrsPK and I were cycling along this road (in the same direction as the silver car), which some might recognise as the road from Kingston bridge to Hampton Court.

There is a perfectly acceptable Bike Lane, with solid line - we have never had any issues with close passes along this road.

But, we came up behind a group of 12/14 cyclists, in matching kit and on decent bikes, doing around 12/14ish mph - much less than we anted to do
They were in a double line with the solid white line down the middle of their double line.
Now we could argue the toss as to whether a double line in this situation was acceptable or not.
What was not acceptable, was that the back pair were off-set, with the left hand man on the white line and the right hand man well to his right making any pass impossible without crossing into the oncoming traffic. They did this along the whole length of the road -about 1 mile. Frankly, as a fellow cyclist, I thought they were taking the pish.

upload_2018-8-10_21-53-1.png

Top Bottom