1 inch headset question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Doyleyburger

Veteran
Hello all,
I need a bit of help with a steel roadie build I'm taking on. The frames steerer tube takes a 1" headset.....
My question is do I need to buy a quill stem or am I able to get a standard stem to bolt onto the forks. I can't seem to find a 1" stem other than the quill version.
Sorry if it's a bit vague but I need a bit of guidance here
Thanks

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Inch quill to A-head adaptor :unsure:

If you don't have a fork yet or, if you do have a threaded fork but still have to source the headset, stem and bars, you may wish to take another route and get a threadless fork. Reason being that threaded headsets of quality are scarce and expensive. Threadless on the other hand are plentiful and available with good quality cartridge bearings that are freely available too. That leaves you with the problem of a stem. 1 Inch threadless stems are difficult to find but at a pinch you simply use a shim, which converts a 1 1/8th stem to a 1" stem and you then have standard parts to contend with. Quill stems have a big disadvantage in that they seize inside the steerer. Considering the cost of a nice one, this isn't an acceptable risk.

OP
OP
Doyleyburger

Doyleyburger

Veteran
If you don't have a fork yet or, if you do have a threaded fork but still have to source the headset, stem and bars, you may wish to take another route and get a threadless fork. Reason being that threaded headsets of quality are scarce and expensive. Threadless on the other hand are plentiful and available with good quality cartridge bearings that are freely available too. That leaves you with the problem of a stem. 1 Inch threadless stems are difficult to find but at a pinch you simply use a shim, which converts a 1 1/8th stem to a 1" stem and you then have standard parts to contend with. Quill stems have a big disadvantage in that they seize inside the steerer. Considering the cost of a nice one, this isn't an acceptable risk.
No I havnt sourced forks yet and was looking at threadless this morning actually. Are shims for that sort of thing readily available do you know. Thanks

raleighnut

Legendary Member
If you've yet to source forks have a look at the Mercian website, a lot of their frames used I" forks and owners will replace them (if damaged) cos I doubt many people would scrap a Mercian, they'd be far more likely to repair even if the frame is damaged.

Top Bottom