1 or 2 of em out there

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Blue said:
I think that that is just plain rude. I always respond to a nod or wave, however, I would only iniate interaction if I knew another cyclist, no matter what type of bike they are on.

It's quite possible that they just don't actually notice the nod or whatever. Riding along in a little world of your own, I'm sure we've all done it. And if someone only greets you as they get close, they could be past before you notice and take in that they mean you...

I tend to give a little nod and smile (out in the country, I'd be daft to do it to every cyclist in town), but if someone didn't respond I wouldn't be offended...

OP
OP
luplowe

luplowe

ok cheers thanks for the replys..

your right maybe they dont see .. im goner get some of those big foam handy fings . thell see those alright..

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
gavintc said:
That said, I will only nod or wave to people I think are actual cyclists - not the 'ned on bike'.

Yeah that sums it up for me as well

Proto

Legendary Member
Cycling in Italy, Lake Garda, big holiday region loads of cyclists about, all the best bikes, matching team kit, shades, lids, the lot that wouldn't disgrace the Giro, but nobody and I mean nobody,nods, waves, says bonjourno, completely blank.
I'm guessing that Italian cyclists think they are too cool to actually greet someone. Friendliness might be seen as a sign of weakness.

Danny

Legendary Member
Arch said:
It's quite possible that they just don't actually notice the nod or whatever. Riding along in a little world of your own, I'm sure we've all done it. And if someone only greets you as they get close, they could be past before you notice and take in that they mean you...

I tend to give a little nod and smile (out in the country, I'd be daft to do it to every cyclist in town), but if someone didn't respond I wouldn't be offended...
For the most part I'm not offended when it happens, as I appreciate people may not notice or may just be suffering from typical British reticence about engaging with strangers. However every now and then you get some elitist types, usually on expensive bikes and wearing expensive gear, who deliberately blank you.

Funnily enough when I was cycling in Scotland we passed a whole group of people doing a triathlon. The leaders were all very happy to responds to our greetings, but by the time we got to the stragglers I realised that the last thing they wanted to do was to have to expend energy on exchanging cheery greetings with us.

alp1950

Never used to happen when I was commuting in Edinburgh 15-20 years back, but since starting cycling again (in & around Glasgow) many times I've been the recipient of the low key but obvious acknowledgement from a fellow cyclist.
I don't think that this is because people are more friendly in the West than the East (although most Glaswegians maintain this to be self-evident). I think it is a tribal thing, a recognition of common interests, respect & importantly an appreciation of all the various aspects of cycling whether the joy of being out or an insight into the dangers & difficulties that only cyclists understand. I suspect that the growth in the culture of the car over the past couple of decades, has heightened cyclists' awareness of being a distinct minority group & this has probably strengthened the feeling of belonging to a tribe.
Irrespective it does feel good to give & receive that acknowledgment.

zaid

Ok, so I've only been cycling for about 5 months now but have been converted into a major bike geek and my over-enthusiasm means I say hello to just about everyone I see on a bike, which is not many people considering I live in "Nürburgring" (otherwise known as Bradford), most return a hello but there's always those that just plain blank you and although it's a fairly insignificant thing, it's almost a-kin to giving way to someone on the road only for them to not even say thanks. (or am I being too pernikety?).

ps How do you spell pah-nikety (nit-picking?):smile:

OP
OP
luplowe

luplowe

I guess there will always be the odd wally that thinks he is to important. but they are few and far between.. but remember next time you see old Ned give him a wave !! up n down those country lanes all day he probably does more miles than most of us..

Top Bottom