10 day tour without padded shorts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

J-Lo

Hi all,

Got my cycling tour to france coming up in a few weeks. Normally I cycle with padded undershorts and wear normal shorts over the top. However, sometimes I feel that the padding is uncomfortable (its big!) and when off the bike it's like walking round with a nappy on!

Could I get away with wearing un-padded cycling under shorts for 10 days without any 'problems'? I have a comfy brooks saddle as it is so don't normally experience problems on day rides.

Any suggestions on certain brands/pairs? I don't want anything too pricey as I need to buy quite a few pairs to take with me.

Thanks
Jamie

lulubel

Über Member
I wouldn't recommend just wearing unpadded shorts for your tour without trying them at home (for several rides) first.

I recently changed from "proper" cycling shorts to tri shorts, which have a thinner pad. I was really just going to wear them for the summer because they'd dry quicker when I got sweaty, but I find them so comfortable I bought 2 more pairs, and will be wearing them all year round.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
I wouldn't go 5 miles without padded shorts.

With shorts, like other thing, you get what you pay for (as I'm sure you know). DHB pace gear is amazing, especially for the money.

amaferanga

Veteran
I've toured for months on rough African roads without padded shorts. If your bike fit is good then no reason why it can't be comfortable, but if you've been riding with lots of padding up to know then you better be sure no padding is comfortable before you go....

hoopdriver

Guru
I toured for months on rough Australian roads without padded shorts and suffered no ill effects at all. I had a very well broken in Brooks saddle and just got on the bike every day and rode. Never really gave the saddle or that part of m anatomy any thought at all. I had no troubles whatever. As the above poster says, if you are well suited to your bike and saddle there is no reason why you can't be comfortable on a 10-day ride.

lejogger

Guru
Perhaps it's my bike fit, but when doing anything less than 10 miles I'm fine without padding, and standard padded shorts are generally fine for long day rides of 100+ miles...
However, when I tour and am doing long miles day after day, I often find myself having to put two pairs of padded shorts on to remain comfortable!

Dave7

Legendary Member
I believe it's an "age thing". When I was 15 I used to do 50+ miles on my 3 speed sturmy-archer........I'd never heard of padded shorts.
Nowadays (a mere 50 years later) I wouldn't get 10 miles without good padded shorts.

snorri

Legendary Member
I believe it's an "age thing". When I was 15 I used to do 50+ miles on my 3 speed sturmy-archer........I'd never heard of padded shorts.
Nowadays (a mere 50 years later) I wouldn't get 10 miles without good padded shorts.
Well I'm not sure when this age thing may kick in, but I'm over 50(:rolleyes:) and just home from a 37 day tour without padding and without pain. I did try the padding once but got the same sensation as bikepacker.:smile:

hoopdriver

Guru
On a slightly different tack, I would add that breaking in a Brooks saddle is better done without padded shorts as the leather forms better to the real you. Again, i've never had any troubles breaking in a Brooks saddle either.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
The advice seems to be split evenly between "I've never used padded shorts - why should I start now?" and "I've always used padded shorts and wouldn't stop for the world."

The OP seems much more likely to be in the second category, so I say - wear your nappy with pride.

More seriously, comfort on the bike (7 hours a day) should probably trump comfort off the bike during breaks (an hour or two a day). Since you know you're comfortable on the bike with shorts, why stop now?

Just bought some Castelli bib shorts for the padding! Reduced to £52 from £80 and am very pleased.

So, padded. My arse would declare war on me if I had nowt. But, a nappy might be a good idea for my forthcoming Etape ride for more reasons than one..? Hmm.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Well I'm not sure when this age thing may kick in, but I'm over 50(:rolleyes:) and just home from a 37 day tour without padding and without pain. I did try the padding once but got the same sensation as bikepacker.:smile:

Right.......time for a re-think:unsure:.
Probably/maybe/possibly....If I had kept up with cycling I may be the same as your good self but having had a 30 year break my rear end rebelled in no uncertain terms. After my 1st unpadded 30 miler (3 years ago) it was literally 3 weeks before I could sit back on tha saddle.

Top Bottom