10 mile utility ride- doable?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kumquat

I'm a pootler with a 2.5 mile commute each way normally and I'm more unfit than usual- been sitting on my arse for 2 months revising (probably 10 miles a week- if that- and no other exercise)

I've been invited to something 10 miles away. I could get a lift, but it would have to be on a friend's way to and from work, so morning and evening, and involve quite a lot of waiting around.

Last time I rode for an hour solid was about a year ago and was rolling gently along a canal on a BSO. No idea of the mileage.

In my position, would you cycle (I'm in no particular rush as I've got the day off) or accept the offer of a lift?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Yes. You're in no rush. Stop and smell the roses along the way.
Unless, of course, it's hammering down with rain. In which case, take the lift.

If it's flat, it will be fine. If you are really out of shape, even the little hills will feel like mountains.

But assuming you have not got a medical condition, it will be well within your physical capabilities. Accept walking up hills, if you have too. If it turns out to be hard work, then take it as a kick start to your summer get-fit-campaign, and promise to yourself to do the same ride in September, faster and easier. If you find it easy, then we expect you to be riding 50 miles by the end of summer!

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
I would go for it, providing weather is good.
Even if you struggle the first few times, there is only one way to get good, that's being bad at something for a while...
Good luck, in a year or so you will probably be commuting 15 to 20!

MiK1138

Veteran
go for it mate. unless of course the event in the middle is a 80 mile Sportive :tongue: 20 miles at a leisurly pace is a good wee run out. and you might catch the bug and do more than just commute. when i started i was commuting less than 6 miles a day on my commute, now my average week is 120 miles

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Go for it: a few years ago, having never done more than 20 miles in a day, I did 68 as a one off.
It was a lovely summer's day, I went to visit a friend 25 miles away, we had a short ride, then I rode back.
I was a bit tired next day, but nothing major, still rode the usual 5 miles to work.
I'm not particularly fit either. Take your time, make a day out of it.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Bike every time for me. (or should that be trike :cycle:)

cycle_bug

thought i had something more to say
Of course it's do-able. In your free time, why not give it a go and see for yourself? You can always give it 5 minutes when you get tired.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Its been my regular commute for years, if you dress right and get your bike right its not an issue .
I have a manual job working shifts and i manage it at close to 50 years young .
De-pendant on route /weather and how i feel it can take from 31 to nearly 40 minutes for the 10 miles, today my return ride was after an 11.5 hour shift and in the pouring rain and i still liked it.

Top Bottom