10 miles in 42 minutes any good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
A 12 hour ride is one I can get my head round, but 24 hours! I don't know how they manage that long in the saddle
I've done it.

Mind you, I did stop for a meal. Or two. Or was it three? Oh yes, and an ice cream stop. And I had a bit of a lie down after my ice cream. And there was that garage where I got some peanuts. But apart from that - 24 solid hours in the saddle. ;) (actually a bit more than 25 hours ... all for a measly 400k)

Sniper68

It'll be Reyt.
There are some things about Britain that are good and some that are very good; imperial units don't make the cut!
Maybe but they are our unit of measurement.Road signs are in miles so it makes sense to use miles.I can cross convert so it makes no difference but even when cycling abroad I always convert KMs to miles when I read a sign even though my Wahoo will be set to KMs:okay:
Also a Pint is a Pint.Who wants to go to the bar and ask for a 50cl of Bitter:stop:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Maybe but they are our unit of measurement.Road signs are in miles so it makes sense to use miles.I can cross convert so it makes no difference but even when cycling abroad I always convert KMs to miles when I read a sign even though my Wahoo will be set to KMs:okay:
I think you just destroyed your own argument there! :laugh:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
A 12 hour ride is one I can get my head round, but 24 hours! I don't know how they manage that long in the saddle
I did it a few years back, not as difficult as I imagined. 208 lumpy miles from memory. The first 70 miles were part of a FNRttC. The rest solo after a full English and a couple pints of beer for brekkie :-)

See here!

https://www.relive.cc/view/vMv85jLpeNO

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
How far is a kilometre?

Don’t worry with a bit more cycling practice you will manage the distance

boydj

Legendary Member
That's interesting. I did notice I was using a higher gear to get upto speed, but I didn't feel totally comfortable while I was in a higher gear. When cycling with two perfectly normal knees do you usually just peddle at a comfortable pace, or do you use a higher gear to add presure to your legs? I'm trying to increase my stamina using cycling as an exercise. So would it be best to apply pressure to the legs or cycle at a comfortable pace to gain stamina? Any thoughts on that anyone? Cheers!

Easier gear, slightly faster legs should make it easier on the knees. Easier gear, not so fast legs should let you go longer to build your stamina. It's amazing how far or how long you can cycle if you keep your effort levels relatively low and keep yourself hydrated.

Sniper68

It'll be Reyt.
But your reason for using miles here is that the road signs are in miles. Using that logic you should completely change over in Europe and not convert back!
I'm afraid you've lost me now.
I live in the UK so I use Miles.
If I lived abroad I would use whatever that country used.
As I only Holiday abroad I use their system when there but my head automatically converts it as I read it.If I lived in France etc i'm sure over time I would stop subconsciously converting kms to miles.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I'm afraid you've lost me now.
I live in the UK so I use Miles.
If I lived abroad I would use whatever that country used.
As I only Holiday abroad I use their system when there but my head automatically converts it as I read it.If I lived in France etc i'm sure over time I would stop subconsciously converting kms to miles.
Fascinating ... but there's no need to justify yourself. Use miles if you want.

It was astonishing to see the speed of the serious TTers as they blasted past on their special bikes with all the aero kit. If I recall I think the best were doing 21 or 22 minutes.
If I remember right my best for a 10miler was 23.57 (B10/43) , the winner was 19 something, apparently its a slow course :ohmy: On a fast dual carriageway course folk are doing 17-18mins :ohmy::ohmy: I'd love to see what Beryl Burton et al. (riders of yester year) could do with all the kit on those courses. :okay:

OP
OP
M

MBosh

Good comments really appreciate it. I've decided to give you the proper details because I recorded the ride using a mobile app. I don't know much about these apps , but it will give you a better idea if I did alright and if I can improve something. Cheers!
Duration 42.02
Distance 10.29
AVG speed 14.3 mph
max speed 22.8 mph
Elevation loss 97.8 feet
Elevation Gain 98.4 feet
AVG pace 04.11/min

What follows is each min and the mph I was doing. After about the 25 min mark, I came off the Bypass and onto some long and short back streets. I think that might be the reason I slowed up a bit after the 25 mins mark. The Bypass has a couple of hills so that might be something to take into account too. I think I might try to find a long flat road next time. There's Plenty of Bypass round here but lorries scare the crap out of me. I have visions of my front wheel leaving my forks when a lorry passes me, but that's probably because of the serious accident I had on my motorcycle.

1 min 6.3 mph, 2 mins 15.3, 3 min 18.6, 4 min 17.2, 5 min 16.0, 6 min 16.8, 7 min 18.6, 8 min 17.2, 9 min 12.7, 10 min 12.3, 12 min 15.7, 13 min 14.2, 15 min 14.5, 16 min 11.9, 17 min 8.9, 18 min 17.5, 19 min 17.5, 20 min 17.9, 21 min 17.5, 22 min 15.3, 23 min 9.7, 24 min 13.4, 25 min 10.8, 26 min 17.5, 27 min 12.3, 28 min 14.5, 29 min 14.9, 30 min 15.7, 32 min 16.0, 33 min 12.7, 34 min 11.9, 35 min 17.5, 36 min 16.0, 37 min 12.7, 38 min 11.6, 39 min 12.3, 40 min 14.9, 41 min 13.8, 42 min 11.2 mph.

I think someone mentioned why I am trying to gain stamina through cycling. Well the main reason is that I seem to be getting tired throughout the day quite quickly even though I try to remain active. I had some tests done and they came back clear. I also hate jogging with a passion but find riding a cycle really enjoyable. I also do a bit of weight lifting, but I'm not sure why at 53 I'm feeling tired a lot. Does this happen when you reach this age or something ^_^

Last edited:
Top Bottom