10 miles in 42 minutes any good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
20mph or "Evens" is probably the first milestone to be reached amongst time triallists. As daunting as it may seem, it is the starting point for most TT riders. But speeds in time trials shouldn't be compared to leisure rides or training rides. TT's are usually on very flattish courses, no difficult junctions, so once you achieve a cruising speed, there is nothing to hinder you.

The OP's 14mph for a training loop is very respectable and should he venture into TT's, he would have no problem getting near to the 20mph mark.

When I was at my quickest (not very quick by TT standards but ok-ish on a good day) I was averaging about 15-16 for commuting & solo weekend riding.

Time-trialling is different though, before doing my first one I'd never knowingly averaged over 20 mph* and was surprised I was able to do it.

* Perhaps the closest I got was when CH4 used to show the tour highlights 30 minutes after I finished work.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
20mph or "Evens" is probably the first milestone to be reached amongst time triallists. As daunting as it may seem, it is the starting point for most TT riders. But speeds in time trials shouldn't be compared to leisure rides or training rides.
Looking to (even beginner) TT'ers as a guide to speed is a scary thing to do. Guys on TT bikes regularly pass me so fast I can't focus on them.

A less daunting way of gauging speed would be to look at Audax. An overall speed of over 30km/h (18.6 mph) would be too fast and you'd find yourself kicking your heels waiting for the final control to open. Mind you if you can hold 30km/h - including stops - over Audax distance, you are very quick indeed.

I remember manning a control about 140km into a 300km Audax once and I was amazed that the first riders came in minutes after we opened up the control. There are some reet speedy people out there.

But if you can manage over 15km/h (9.3 mph) overall, you are fine. However, that's often easier said than done!!

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member
It was astonishing to see the speed of the serious TTers as they blasted past on their special bikes with all the aero kit. If I recall I think the best were doing 21 or 22 minutes.

That would be on a slowish course nowadays, record is 16min 35 seconds. That on an out and back course, anyone work out the average I guess at a shade under 35mph.

D

Deleted member 1258

That would be on a slowish course nowadays, record is 16min 35 seconds. That on an out and back course, anyone work out the average I guess at a shade under 35mph.

I haven't heard of anybody round here managing that, but the fast boys are regularly under 20 minutes for 10 miles, an hour for 25 miles and under 2 hours for 50 miles.

Lauris

Best way to measure your efforts is with a power meter.

D

Deleted member 1258

The one that gets me is 544 miles for a 24 hour ride, how the heck do you get your head around that one.

A 12 hour ride is one I can get my head round, but 24 hours! I don't know how they manage that long in the saddle

Top Bottom