10 miles in 42 minutes any good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Wow, completely flat! Less than 100ft up or down in 10 miles!

ref the tiredness, are you male or female? Hormone levels reduce in both sexes with age.
How long and well do you sleep?
Do you have a mentally or physically taxing job?

Last edited:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Wow, completely flat! Less than 100ft up or down in 10 miles
Flat as a pancake! Slightly (hugely) envious of that as riding where I live involves much more climbing.

Still a good ave speed so keep it up :okay:

vickster

Legendary Member
It’s pretty flat around here, my 12 miles on Tuesday morning was 400ft elevation gain, another was 271. 21 last night was 440. I can go hillier but I don’t bother ^_^

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Living at the foot of the Pennines/Peak District means my leisure rides are typically 100ft/mile of climbing and this is something I have dealt with since being a kid in short pants so is accepted as normal and doesn't bother me.
Luckily my commute of 10 miles each way is a bit better and 'only' includes 40-45ft climbing per mile. The start and finish points are roughly the same elevation so there is just the ups and downs in between to contend with, it isn't any harder riding to or from work, which is a mercy when riding home after my 4th 12hr nightshift!

OP
OP
M

MBosh

Wow, completely flat! Less than 100ft up or down in 10 miles!

ref the tiredness, are you male or female? Hormone levels reduce in both sexes with age.
How long and well do you sleep?
Do you have a mentally or physically taxing job?
I'm male and do find I have difficulty with sleep and maybe some stress at times. Even when I do get a good regular 8 hours of sleep though, I still find I get tired more quickly these days. I've tried drinking more water and energy drinks, but I still feel drained at times. Take today for example. There's no way I would have the energy to cycle 10 miles, but on another day I'm raring to go and soreness in the knee is the only thing that prevents me from going further. I just feel like my energy is being sapped more times then not lately.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm male and do find I have difficulty with sleep and maybe some stress at times. Even when I do get a good regular 8 hours of sleep though, I still find I get tired more quickly these days. I've tried drinking more water and energy drinks, but I still feel drained at times. Take today for example. There's no way I would have the energy to cycle 10 miles, but on another day I'm raring to go and soreness in the knee is the only thing that prevents me from going further. I just feel like my energy has been sapped more times then not lately.
Might be worth discussing with Dr again and seeing if other blood tests helpful (thyroid, hormone etc)

VeganWheels

Putting me to shame I'd say.
I'm 49 & about three months into Cycling.
Last weekend I did 27.51 miles in 2hrs 18 ,1740 ft climbs at an average of 12 mph.
Need to up my tempo I think???

vickster

Legendary Member
In fact looking at strava I seem to be annoyingly consistent ,weekend before 32.16 miles,2hrs 40 mins 1800ft climbs,12 mph average :sad:
It’ll probably take a few months to see improvements (all assuming the conditions - traffic and weather- and route are identical each time)

OP
OP
M

MBosh

Putting me to shame I'd say.
I'm 49 & about three months into Cycling.
Last weekend I did 27.51 miles in 2hrs 18 ,1740 ft climbs at an average of 12 mph.
Need to up my tempo I think???
No Fella, I'd reckon that's probably same as me given my ride was mainly on flat and not climbs. Plus I was giving it all I've got and would say I'd probably feel more comfortable doing 12 to 13 mph on flat ^_^

The funny thing is I've just started cycling again after a few months off, but before this I found I couldn't get any faster on this route in the 6 months I was doing it 5 times a week. Maybe give or take a minute on my overall time each time, but I was always around the 40 min mark over a 10 mile distance. I also found I was really pushing myself to get this distance in that time, but I did feel less tired doing it over the course of the first few weeks.

I even tried changing my diet, but nope still same distance and speed. I've just come to the conclusion I'm going to get slower or stay the same due to my age and the problems I have with my knee. But it's still all good exercise and better then doing nothing. I also enjoy riding down the cycle paths and seeing the country side.

VeganWheels

I think i’ll always be a plodder to be honest & never very quick.Both rides were in pretty tough conditions with strong head winds ,but i tend to mentally switch off,which is good ,but then i have keep reminding myself to up it a bit.

Brandane

Legendary Member
That would be on a slowish course nowadays, record is 16min 35 seconds. That on an out and back course, anyone work out the average I guess at a shade under 35mph.
Since no-one else appears to have been sad enough to work it out....
16 mins 35 seconds is 16.5833333 minutes, or 0.2764 hours.
10 miles divided by 0.2764 = 36.18 mph..
I need to get out on a bike :ohmy:.

Person

Don't be fooled by the media into thinking we all have average speeds of 20+ mph.
If you can cruise along at 20mph on flat roads and have an average speed of around 16mph, you'll be doing very well.

El Yako

Regular
Nice to be able to compare how I'm doing...on Strava I'm the only one in my age/weight class around here. Suppose the others are dead by now ;-) ....51/+115kg but generally better than 16mph on a 2.5/3hr ride. But then, pretty stress-free out here in Spain.

Top Bottom