10 most annoying words and phrases 2023

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRM

Guru
“Super”

Also, everything seems to be “full gas” these days. Is it all the gels?

Yes, Super, Full Gas & the perennial favourite For Sure, damned European English

I wonder if it's due to English losing the distinction between singular and plural and formal and informal "you". (Like tu/vous in French) It seems that this has led to the reinvention of plural you, in "youse" and "y'all" and repurposing of "yourself" as formal.

If we'd kept thee and thou none of this would be necessary.

Still exists in German as well. I find it very helpful, if a bit complicated grammatically.

"Gravel riding" for anything off road

I think this MAY have been discussed before ... :P

Yup - I used to work in a school where we had a shared drive accessible to all staff

The Head used to say he had put stuff "on the shared drive" - after a while there was more on that damn drive than the whole of Google - or so it appeared
but he wouldn;t see why he had to say which damn folder it was in. what the filename was - and even if you got that far there would be 20 different versions of that file

why can;t people actually think????
(p.s. he didn;t last long as a Head Teacher!)

Our boss repeatedly told us to check for information "in the Handbook" which was on the shared drive (Now "the cloud"´which is even more annoying). Unfortunately no-one could ever find what they needed so when one person found something they'd download it and email it to someone who needed it. As a result I've got most of what I need on my desktop, where I can get at it.

Then someone realised the handbook was out of date anyway...

Dadam

Yup - I used to work in a school where we had a shared drive accessible to all staff

The Head used to say he had put stuff "on the shared drive" - after a while there was more on that damn drive than the whole of Google - or so it appeared
but he wouldn;t see why he had to say which damn folder it was in. what the filename was - and even if you got that far there would be 20 different versions of that file

why can;t people actually think????
(p.s. he didn;t last long as a Head Teacher!)

Referring back to my previous post, this is precisely why a "knowledge base" is an actual thing offered by real products and not just a buzzword. Access control, document versioning, review processes, archival and deletion policies, search terms, edit controls.

Top Bottom