10 most annoying words and phrases 2023

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Nothing from here is from 2023 and a good proportion are from the previous millennia.

I'll admit I wasn't around in the years 1-1000 to be able to confirm. ;)

One from me is using a plural where the singular is required. For example having to meet "a criteria", experiencing "a phenomena" or being infected by "a bacteria".

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
OK here's one that genuinely does annoy me. And has annoyed me for decades, let alone 2023. That is the substitution of "yourself" for "you". As in "we will send the goods to yourself".

I think it originates in a wish to appear polite and a fear that "you" is too blunt, so obviously it needs a fancy polite form. "Yourself" seems to fit the bill.

Alex321

Veteran
Just out of interest, are the people who are annoyed by "can I get" all working in retail, serving customers? Because that's the only time you'll hear it with any regularity. Or do you go around earwigging people buying stuff?
If you are queueing in a coffee shop or similar, you will frequently hear it from the people in front of you in the queue.

But it isn't that recent a thing. I first remember being annoyed by it back in around 1998 when my then team leader used to use it - and I would hear that quite often from him, as we used to go (along with another couple of team members) to a local pub quiz night every week.

Gwylan

Veteran
I'll admit I wasn't around in the years 1-1000 to be able to confirm. ;)

One from me is using a plural where the singular is required. For example having to meet "a criteria", experiencing "a phenomena" or being infected by "a bacteria".

Not giving people a decent classical education's means they don't know Latin from Greek and just copy what they heard

Stick it in a Venn diagram it's all sorted innit

Top Bottom