10 most annoying words and phrases 2023

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OK here's one that genuinely does annoy me. And has annoyed me for decades, let alone 2023. That is the substitution of "yourself" for "you". As in "we will send the goods to yourself".

I think it originates in a wish to appear polite and a fear that "you" is too blunt, so obviously it needs a fancy polite form. "Yourself" seems to fit the bill.

Reflexive pronouns always fox people for whom pronouns are of particular importance.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Reflexive pronouns always fox people for whom pronouns are of particular importance.

I wonder if it's due to English losing the distinction between singular and plural and formal and informal "you". (Like tu/vous in French) It seems that this has led to the reinvention of plural you, in "youse" and "y'all" and repurposing of "yourself" as formal.

If we'd kept thee and thou none of this would be necessary.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Me too, but there was an interesting programme on Radio 4 once pointing out that a lot of them were originally English. 'Gotten' is from Shakespeare.

We still have it in "forgotten." Get-got-gotten

Translation: I've dropped a bollock here and can't sort it out myself, so I'd like you lot to do it for me.

Normally yes
it should be used when some pillock is taking up a lot fo time by saying
"well we should never have done x or y and if we had done it MY way then we wouldn;t be here - so we should have done z"
which may well be true - but we didn;t and we are now somewhere else so we need to start from here

which is when I have been known to use it

however, you always have to expect idiots to crop up

Top Bottom