10 pounds of weight lost adds 1mph to your speed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Out of a matter of interest what lowest gear ratios do people use.
Do you try to remain seated when climbing, have got a friend who says to remain seated as long as possible because standing uses way more energy.
I was using 30/28 but I got even fatter and less fit so I switched to 26/28!

I stay seated where I can, but on stupidly steep climbs (say 20-25+%) I have to stand up to keep going.
Hi black'n'yellow so would you be able to get up most hills with a 23/39 or more importantly should I be able to when I get fitter.
There are some people who subscribe to the "What doesn't kill me, makes me stronger" philosophy but I'm not one of them! I think you will do more hard rides if they don't feel like they are half-killing you and you will naturally start using higher climbing gears as you get fitter and lighter. I'd be tempted to investigate lower gearing.
please don't go down the route of thinking that gearing is the key to getting up hills - it isn't. Fitness is.
Told you so! :thumbsup:

When I got fit and lost weight, I climbed almost everything for a year on 39/26 or a higher gear. I don't disagree with black'n'yellow that fitter riders climb in higher gears, but do disagree that grovelling up steep climbs in high gears is the best way to get fit. I think it would either make you avoid steep climbs or walk up them!

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
When I got fit and lost weight, I climbed almost everything for a year on 39/26 or a higher gear. I don't disagree with black'n'yellow that fitter riders climb in higher gears, but do disagree that grovelling up steep climbs in high gears is the best way to get fit. I think it would either make you avoid steep climbs or walk up them!

That depend's on if you have been taught an appropriate level of shame!

OP
OP
simmi

simmi

Über Member
sorry, that's a bit open ended, as I don't really know what you mean by 'most hills'..?

Not sure but don't think there is anything much above 10% near me, would have to head on over to the Peaks to find anything much steeper.

OMG ColinJ i didn't know hills went to 20-25+%

So just to clear this up am I better in a low gear sitting than a higher one standing when climbing?(once my technique is up to scratch)

So just to clear this up am I better in a low gear sitting than a higher one standing when climbing?(once my technique is up to scratch)

the answer is 'both' - some have a preference, but the truth is that both methods are entirely suitable, so do whatever you need to do to get up and over the climb.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Not sure but don't think there is anything much above 10% near me, would have to head on over to the Peaks to find anything much steeper.

Doesn't matter as long as you are gurning with all your might!

Alun

Guru
Weight of the bike or luggage is a different thing to weight of a person. Dropping 5kg of dead weight from the bike or a load of shopping is going to make more difference to dropping 5kg body weight, off of the rider, I think...?
I can't see why that would be true, 5kg is still 5 kg.
Shaving 100g off the wheels and tyres would have more effect than 100g off the frame, because it's rotational mass.

Alun

Guru
"Mainly ..." :thumbsup:

Okay, yes, heavy objects are harder to accelerate and decelerate than lighter ones, but they don't take much more energy to keep rolling atop a bicycle. They are also harder to lug up hills, but they are better at plunging downhill than lighter ones, in the presence of an atmosphere!
in the presence of an atmosphere! Where are you planning the next ride to start from?

ColinJ

in the presence of an atmosphere! Where are you planning the next ride to start from?
I was anticipating a pedantic (though accurate) post in reply from someone of a scientific bent! :thumbsup:

As we (should!) all know, all objects would accelerate downwards at the same rate in the absence of an atmosphere. Cue video clip of lunar surface experiment ...

Shaving 100g off the wheels and tyres would have more effect than 100g off the frame, because it's rotational mass.

which means that it will accelerate quicker - and then decellerate quicker, meaning it may need to be accelerated more often to maintain speed in certain circumstances. So not always a good thing. Sorry, this is probably going to complicate things.. ;)

ColinJ

Get yourself over to Park Rash near Kettlewell in the Yorkshire Dales - the first section of that was nearer to 30% and I definitely stood for that, and used a 30/26 gear.

park_rash.jpg

Lots of steep climbs round here, which is why I don't use a 39/23 bottom gear on my bikes! :thumbsup:

hebden-bridge-steep-local-hills.jpg

Alun

Guru
Both Millar and Contador have been using MTB cassettes on their race bikes whilst out recceing, apparently!
They copied that idea from me!

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's

Mix it up and see what works better for you, I've found it a variable but I did work initially on my out of saddle climbing stamina. I used a 1 mile hill for this but others may not want to go to these lengths. Beyond a certain fitness point I find I can climb seated, standing or using a mix and it's normally decided by my mood and the length of ride I'm on. Short blasts(sub 40 miles) generally involve a lot more standing and long rides a lot more seated though I'd throw in the odd stand just for easement.

Regardless all my bikes have pretty low gearing available as I prefer to ride than walk.

al78

Guru
please don't go down the route of thinking that gearing is the key to getting up hills - it isn't. Fitness is.

Having the right gearing does make going up hills an awful lot more pleasant though, and it can make a difference between making the climb and having to get off and walk. In the case where the gearing allows the rider to spin at the same rate as they would on the flat then they will be able to cope with the climb as easily as if they were cycling on the flat, it will just take longer than the equivalent flat journey. Trying to grind up in too high a gear will result in stalling if the rider runs out of steam because the effort required to turn the pedals is too high for them to sustain it for long. A lower gearing will solve this.

Hip Priest

Veteran
Having the right gearing does make going up hills an awful lot more pleasant though, and it can make a difference between making the climb and having to get off and walk. In the case where the gearing allows the rider to spin at the same rate as they would on the flat then they will be able to cope with the climb as easily as if they were cycling on the flat, it will just take longer than the equivalent flat journey. Trying to grind up in too high a gear will result in stalling if the rider runs out of steam because the effort required to turn the pedals is too high for them to sustain it for long. A lower gearing will solve this.

I find this sort of stuff really interesting, as when I hit anything above 15% I tend to roll to a halt in my bottom gear. On the Cyclone I had to dismount at the steepest bit of The Ryals, and ended up chatting to a bloke who was happly spinning up it at the same speed I was walking.

So, lower gears would help me, but as B&W says, so would getting fitter and losing weight!

Top Bottom