10-speed cassette with a little more spread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Twilkes

Guru
I have what I assume is a standard Tiagra 12-28 cassette, so:

12-13-14-15-17-19-21-23-25-28

I find the fastest 5 gears much of a muchness, or at least I don’t need such close spacings in that half of the cassette because I’m used to 8-speed and happy to vary cadence a little. And running a 50-34 I find that when riding flats with a few lumps in I end up in 50/21 or 23 to get over them rather than switch to the small ring, which I tend to keep for extended climbs.

So I’m looking to move some of the cogs across a bit. Does anyone know a cassette that looks something like this, particularly the fastest 5 gears:

12-13-14-16-18-20-22-24-26-28

Or to lower the climbing gear:

12-13-14-16-18-20-22-25-28-32

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
You can move to 12-32 - there is/was a Tiagra one and a SRAM one - but you need a long-cage rear derailleur or a wolf-tooth link on the standard derailleur to make it work.

si_c

Guru
Miche do a 10speed cassette in 13-30 if that is of interest to you.

13-14-15-16-17-19-21-23-25-27-30

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
You can move to 12-32 - there is/was a Tiagra one and a SRAM one - but you need a long-cage rear derailleur or a wolf-tooth link on the standard derailleur to make it work.

Thanks, I had a look at 12-30 and the only ones I can find still start with close spacing (12-13-14-15-17) which is the spacing I’m trying to get away from.

I found that there is an 11-12-14-16-18-20-22-25-28-32, but while I would probably use the 11 sometimes, I would probably miss the 13 and it sounds like I would have to make a change to the derailleur and I’m not really fussed enough about it to do that. I’ll play with skipping my 13 on the way home and see how it feels.

Is it possible to frankenstein two cassettes together, or are they pretty much single units these days?

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru

I would need at least a 12 I think. I'll re-read that 'petition' thread again, see if there's anything relevant in there.

johnblack

Über Member
I've got the Ultegra 12-30, it's 12 / 13 / 14 / 15 / 17 / 19 / 21 / 24 / 27 / 30 , I run that with a 39 on a standard cage, which is just about at it's limit, I've kind of just got used to the jumps in the low gears, don't really notice them anymore.

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru

I had another look at Miche, and they seem to do a wide variety of ranges, and possibly the option of switching out individual cogs, so that may well be the route as long as they're not too expensive. Thanks. :smile:

E.g. 12/30 : 12-13-15-17-19-21-23-25-27-30 looks exactly what I (think I) need, but €40.

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
Still thinking about this, the Miche route seems expensive and have read some unsatisfied reviews, but this Shimano doc seems to show the breakdown of the one-piece units and the separate sprockets for each of their Tiagra cassettes: https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/ev/EV-CS-HG500-10-3861.pdf

So what I would like to do is buy an 11-32 cassette, and instead of the loose 11 and 12 sprockets, fit the 12 and a new 13 sprocket. Would that work? Are individual sprockets generally available? And would the end sprocket need to be a ‘terminating’ sprocket, similar to the Miche ones, or can any of the loose sprockets fit anywhere in the cassette?

Is there a way of checking what derailleur adjustment/change I would need, e.g. based on my current derailleur model number. Currently has a Tiagra 12-28 fitted.

si_c

Guru
For a Shimano cassette the smallest sprocket would need to be a particular type - so you would need the 12t from a 12-25 cassette say - you couldn't just use any 12t sprocket.

Individual sprockets are not generally available.

nickAKA

Über Member
Still thinking about this, the Miche route seems expensive and have read some unsatisfied reviews, but this Shimano doc seems to show the breakdown of the one-piece units and the separate sprockets for each of their Tiagra cassettes: https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/ev/EV-CS-HG500-10-3861.pdf

So what I would like to do is buy an 11-32 cassette, and instead of the loose 11 and 12 sprockets, fit the 12 and a new 13 sprocket. Would that work? Are individual sprockets generally available? And would the end sprocket need to be a ‘terminating’ sprocket, similar to the Miche ones, or can any of the loose sprockets fit anywhere in the cassette?

Is there a way of checking what derailleur adjustment/change I would need, e.g. based on my current derailleur model number. Currently has a Tiagra 12-28 fitted.

I run an Ultegra 10-speed 11-30 cassette on my 'standard' tiagra compact setup, same chain length, no changes to anything, and it runs perfectly. They are quite expensive to buy but gives you a bit more in the lower gear.
I guess you could buy a 12-whatever Ultegra cassette of the same model with the smaller 12 cog & swap it?

*edit* I also have a miche 11-29 on another set of wheels - I found it a bit 'lumpy' IIH, certainly not as smooth as the ultegra. Looked into swappable cogs in their range but it is expensive, you may as well buy 2 shimano cassettes and swap cogs where you can.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
For a Shimano cassette the smallest sprocket would need to be a particular type - so you would need the 12t from a 12-25 cassette say - you couldn't just use any 12t sprocket.

Individual sprockets are not generally available.

I guess I already have a 12t from my current cassette which hasn't had much use, and there are random sprockets listed on ebay so will see what I could put together and whether it's worth it in the long run, thanks.

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
I run an Ultegra 10-speed 11-30 cassette on my 'standard' tiagra compact setup, same chain length, no changes to anything, and it runs perfectly. They are quite expensive to buy but gives you a bit more in the lower gear.

This guy appeared to run an 11-32 on a short arm derailleur and didn't have any problems with it on a stand, I'll read up a bit more before I try it though. I wouldn't be use the large-large combination so that shouldn't be a problem, the biggest chain combination would be 50-28, or even 50-25, as per now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom