10-speed chains ; Shimano vs Sram vs others

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

on the road

Über Member
I use Shimano chains along with the connecting pin. Once the chain's on it stays on, it can be cleaned in situ, no need for it to come off until it's time to replace it.

OP
OP
robjh

robjh

Legendary Member
Once the chain's on it stays on, it can be cleaned in situ, no need for it to come off until it's time to replace it.

I normally leave chains in situ for their whole life, except when the chain gets damaged on a ride, and I can do an emergency repair by removing the damaged links and reattaching the rest. The fewer extra tools I have to pack every ride, the better it seems to me.

A related question - is it safe to assume that most claims that 'Shimano is best with Shimano; Sram is best with Sram' etc are manufacturers' hype, and any combination of these cassettes and chains (including KMC) will work just as well, as far as the average rider is concerned?

fossala

Guru
Went out for a quick spin on my 7801 chain with a kmc quick link. Seems quiter than the kmc x10sl that costs 2x as much. Could just be because of a new chain though!

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I use a 10 speed Campag chain - with a KMC (Campag specific) link. Carry a pair of fine nosed tweezers to remove, which can double up a flint/thorn removern as required. Also use KMC link with Shimano chains.

Moss

I use KMC SL Chains on both my road bikes; but I'm going to get a Sram CP1051 Chain for my Ridley X Ride and a Conex quick link. they're compatible with almost all makes of chain, and simple reusable removal over and over again. They are what I use on the KMC chains.

fossala

Guru
I just put a sram 1051 from halfords on, much quiter than my shimano dura ace chain.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
When I got my road bike, the chain snapped by 4000 miles. Luckily I wasnt too far from home but that was a Shimano chain (I think).
Every chain I get is a KMC (they just seem to be cheapest) because they last a long time (current one is on 3500 miles).

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
I bought a KMC X10 SL on eBay (I know, I know), supposedly 10speed but it seems too wide. When I have it in 9th gear, I get a click click click that is the noise of the 8th cog pushing against it a little. It can slide back and forth on the cog just a little. Should a 10 speed chain sit on the cog and not move?

I suppose I should compare it with the one I took off, if I haven't already recycled it.

fossala

Guru
I bought a KMC X10 SL on eBay (I know, I know), supposedly 10speed but it seems too wide. When I have it in 9th gear, I get a click click click that is the noise of the 8th cog pushing against it a little. It can slide back and forth on the cog just a little. Should a 10 speed chain sit on the cog and not move?

I suppose I should compare it with the one I took off, if I haven't already recycled it.
I can take a picture of a few spare links I have next to a metal ruler if you want.
EDIT: on a retail kmc x10sl

Top Bottom