10-speed chains ; Shimano vs Sram vs others

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robjh

Legendary Member
I'm about to go from 9 to 10-speed on my road bike, and (obviously) I'll need a new chain.
I've previously disliked shimano chains because of the need for a special pin tool to remove links, but have just found out that Sram 10-speed chains too are less re-usable than their 9-speed ones, as the PowerLock on 10-speeds is single use and you need to buy spares (unlike the PowerLink on 9-speeds that you can undo and reattach as often as you wanted).

Does anyone have any views on this? Do you live quite happily with Shimano or Sram chains and just buy the extra tools? Or would you go for something else like KMC?

I'm probably going to be running a Shimano 105 cassette for what it's worth, but would go with Sram if the price was right and there were any other advantages.

Herzog

Swinglish Mountain Goat
KMCs are great, seeming to last a long time and I've never snapped one (the same cannot be said for Shimano chains).

fossala

Guru
I have used kmc x10sl for a while, I'm bored of buying 40-50quid chains, went with a 7801 chain as I'm on a 6700 triple, putting it on tomorrow, will report back after a few weeks.

Pottsy

Another KMC fan here.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
The powerlock is supposed to be single use on 10 speed chains but i must admit to using them 2 or 3 times each without probl;ems.

I need a tool to realease it though unlike the 9 speed which I can do with fingers alone.

mark st1

Plastic Manc
The powerlock is supposed to be single use on 10 speed chains but i must admit to using them 2 or 3 times each without probl;ems.

I need a tool to realease it though unlike the 9 speed which I can do with fingers alone.

Can i ask what you use to un do the stubborn little link :cursing:

Top Bottom