Rim vs Discs - again.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran

From a year ago, though I don't suppose any of what they were testing will have changed much.

Alex321

Veteran
I honestly don't understand that answer.

For me, it reinforces my opinion that DB's beat RB's hands-down.

Just that to me, the thread title implied something new, while the video has actually been around for a year - I remember watching it then.

But then I thought, the fact it is a year old really doesn't matter, things won't have changed much since.

An yes, I agree that it reinforces the view that Disc are better (which I have thought since the first day I rode a bike with them).

OP
OP
SpokeyDokey

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Just that to me, the thread title implied something new, while the video has actually been around for a year - I remember watching it then.

But then I thought, the fact it is a year old really doesn't matter, things won't have changed much since.

An yes, I agree that it reinforces the view that Disc are better (which I have thought since the first day I rode a bike with them).

Ah, I see. Thanks for clarifying.

Drago

Legendary Member
OK as long as you have hydro i guess , my dual piston cable and absolute pants and even in the wet the bog standard tektro rim brakes were just as good and a damn sight better in the dry .
This.

It is too simplistic to say one is automatically better than the other.

I own bikes that'll endo on rim brakes, and others with discs that give you a serious dose of squeaky bum if you need to stop in a hurry.

Conversely, I have disc braked bikes that stop on a sixpence and rim braked bikes that barely stop at all,

Sheet brakes are simply sheet brakes, and there is no law of nature or man that confines that sheetyness exclusively to one design.

markemark

Über Member
Disc brakes are superior. Those that prefer rim brakes are people who can't afford bikes with disc brakes. Fact.

*Runs and hides*

GuyBoden

Guru
Rim brakes can be lighter, so are still used by many riders for dedicated National Hill climbing.

Uk Champion Andrew Feather's winning bike.

andrew-feathers-cannondale-supersix-evo-hi-mod-03.jpg

markemark

Über Member
Rim brakes can be lighter, so are still used by many riders for dedicated National Hill climbing.

Uk Champion Andrew Feather's winning bike.
That's because you don't need proper brakes when climbing. I doubt any of the National Hill descending riders have anything other than disc brakes:rolleyes:

How do disk brakes handle big descents with a loaded bike. My Shimano disk brakes can get burning hot on a short, steep descent. Only once have I had my rim brakes heat up to dangerous temp.
Do rotors ever warp, melt or otherwise fail due to over heating ?

Top Bottom