Rim vs Discs - again.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
SpokeyDokey

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
New bike, specced with rim brakes. Stops fine in all weathers.
View attachment 705348

Maybe fine for you but it's not going to stop as fast as it would with decent disk brakes (and a beefed up fork).

Did you see the comparism in the original video? - a heck of a difference in stopping distance.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Did you see the comparism in the original video? - a heck of a difference in stopping distance.
I reckon most of that difference was due to the carbon rims. He was locking his wheels with both types of brakes so both had enough braking power.

I am happy with rim brakes in the dry but do prefer disks in bad weather conditions.

Alex321

Veteran
I reckon most of that difference was due to the carbon rims. He was locking his wheels with both types of brakes so both had enough braking power.

I am happy with rim brakes in the dry but do prefer disks in bad weather conditions.

He was locking the wheeels, yes, but how quickly and how much force on the brake levers did it take in each case?

When you can lock the wheels, then it is a question of how long it takes to go from fully rotating to just fractionally before locking (which is the most efficient braking point for the wheels on the road). And also how easy it is to control the braking so that you don't quite lock up.

DogmaStu

And that's another downside to disc brakes. It's certainly not done for comfort.

Not sure I understand what you mean by that. I can't tell any 'comfort' difference between each type.

Disc simply gives you more control - they 'feather' more precisely and can allow you to brake much later when nearing a corner.

GuyBoden

Guru
Not sure I understand what you mean by that. I can't tell any 'comfort' difference between each type.

Disc simply gives you more control - they 'feather' more precisely and can allow you to brake much later when nearing a corner.

You can't put disc brakes on this type of comfy fork geometry:
705107-1e34480ec9331a4ba3cb1188119219e1.jpg

DogmaStu

You can't put disc brakes on this type of comfy fork geometry:
View attachment 705392

You'll have to explain in more detail please.

That bike won't accept disc brakes, no, due to the clearance available: which makes zero difference to comfort.

That bike isn't any more comfortable to ride than a Trek Checkpoint or Trek Domane etc.

Then there are steel bikes like this that are very similar but have discs - I can't believe these are less comfortable:

https://www.veloduo.co.uk/products/...el-frameset-for-disc-brakes-all-sizes-touring

IMG_1222.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
SpokeyDokey

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!

Would it have made any difference if the rims were steel or ally? I thought that with the right pads that modern carbon wheels performed pretty much the same as steel/ally in terms of braking performance?

I might be wrong though.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Would it have made any difference if the rims were steel or ally? I thought that with the right pads that modern carbon wheels performed pretty much the same as steel/ally in terms of braking performance?

I might be wrong though.

Based on my limited experience of carbon rims (Zipp 404s) the stopping was fine in the dry but could be unpredictable when wet. It sometimes felt like the first second or so of heavy braking was clearing any dampness off the rims before the pads would bite properly. I lot can happen in that second!

My solution for this was not to ride in the wet, which also avoided the wheels dissolving.

GuyBoden

Guru
That bike isn't any more comfortable to ride than a Trek Checkpoint or Trek Domane etc.

In my opinion, the important dimensions for a comfortable frame are a longer wheelbase length and chainstay length, within reason. Hence, why the geometry on these bikes will be more comfortable on longer rides.

DogmaStu

In my opinion, the important dimensions for a comfortable frame are a longer wheelbase length and chainstay length, within reason. Hence, why the geometry on these bikes will be more comfortable on longer rides.

What has this got to do with disc brakes being less comfortable? You can get that geometry on a disc bike.

Reactions: C R

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
How do disk brakes handle big descents with a loaded bike. My Shimano disk brakes can get burning hot on a short, steep descent. Only once have I had my rim brakes heat up to dangerous temp.
Do rotors ever warp, melt or otherwise fail due to over heating ?

None of the above. I've done mountainous tours in France and Spain with very long descents with a fully loaded bike with disc brakes. Never a problem.

Top Bottom