Rim vs Discs - again.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Wouldn’t fixed be lighter still as you could dump the derailleur and the rear rim brake?

Surely for a hill climb bike you could fit expanded polystyrene brakes for all the use they will be. Once you get to the top of the hill you might want to replace them with real ones tho;)

Alex321

Veteran
People who don’t ride fixed regularly often think that, but regulars usually find they are faster uphill on their fixed bike vs. gears in nearly all cases.

That does surprise me, but I have never ridden even a singlespeed, never mind a fixie.

I change gear so frequently though, that I find it hard to imagine how a single gear would be suitable for constantly changing terrain.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
That does surprise me, but I have never ridden even a singlespeed, never mind a fixie.

I change gear so frequently though, that I find it hard to imagine how a single gear would be suitable for constantly changing terrain.

for one you change cadence
two the fixed gear helps you out over the dead spots
three quite a few people do use them for hill climbing
four you can change your gear for different events depending on what the gradient demands

4.5kg build I believe....
1694013775143.png

GuyBoden

Guru
Classic photo of a fixed gear hill climber.
steve-joughin-how-to-finish.jpg

DogmaStu

You've ridden it?

Don't need to ride that particular model, I've ridden nigh-on identical bikes - I've owned steel 531 back in the 80's that had geometry like that and a fixie that was similar just a few years ago as an Amsterdam commuter. Not to mention ridden many others.

The comment was made that disc brakes make a bike less comfortable to ride which is absurd and I have asked for an explanation as to why that comment was made but received no answer - typical 'anti-disc' bias nonsense based on zero fact whatsoever.

Why are some cyclists so partisan about a particular type of bike or material?? Why can't we just enjoy all types of bikes? I like Bromptons and fixies and Amsterdam-style commuters and Touring bikes as well as racing machines. I like steel, aluminium, titanium and carbon. I like all things cycling. It's just weird that some have to 'defend' a bias by making stuff up. If people prefer rim vs disc that's fine! They don't need to defend that decision.

Top Bottom