Rim vs Discs - again.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Johnno260

Veteran
My hydros on my Ventus are great, I wouldn’t change them, but I have 105 rim brakes on my Merida with Kool Stop pads and they stop me just fine, not as good as discs in the wet but still totally adequate.

My Ribble with a Veloce Camp rim brakes stops you really fast regardless if it’s wet.

I like all three tbh and ride whichever I fancy and not on the brake type.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I like all three tbh and ride whichever I fancy and not on the brake type.
Sorry but that's not allowed. You have to choose.

A mod will be along shortly to delete your outrageous post. ;)

DogmaStu

They allegedly are on an imperfect road surface. On very very smooth asphalt, a narrower one may have the edge, but that's all to do with road surface not stiff forks. As with all this pseudo science, whether you notice in the real world is entirely subjective and goes to hell in a handcart when you stop for a coffee.

Which brakes are fastest? :okay: :wacko:

Disc are fastest and this is obvious to anyone who has ridden quickly with both - you can modulate disc's better and enjoy later braking into a corner. This is not just my experience but you'll find GCN and other videos demonstrating this.

For those of us who race, this is a significant advantage over rim brakes. When on a casual Club ride out on a leisurely Cafe stop social, then it doesn't matter one jot because it will hardly be noticeable at cruising about speeds.

Last edited:

DogmaStu

that must be why wider tyres are " faster " ;) its to hide the harsher ride .

Wider tyres on a road bike have a sweet spot size of 26-28mm for road racing. Tried and tested.

A 28mm tubeless tyre allows for a lower pressure. The lower pressure allows the tyre to deform to 'real-World' rough tarmac and therefore gain more traction and not waste energy. However, go wider and then rolling resistance starts working against that benefit for speed.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Disc are fastest and this is obvious to anyone who has ridden quickly with both - you can modulate disc's better and enjoy later braking into a corner. This is not just my experience but you'll find GCN and other videos demonstrating this.

For those of us who race, this is a significant advantage over rim brakes. When on a casual Club ride out on a leisurely Cafe stop social, then it doesn't matter one jot because it will hardly be noticeable at cruising about speeds.

Ah but which allow you to accelerate the fastest?🤔

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Wider tyres on a road bike have a sweet spot size of 26-28mm for road racing. Tried and tested.

A 28mm tubeless tyre allows for a lower pressure. The lower pressure allows the tyre to deform to 'real-World' rough tarmac and therefore gain more traction and not waste energy. However, go wider and then rolling resistance starts working against that benefit for speed.

hence the smiley with my post..................

markemark

Über Member
Well I have to say this thread has been an interesting read. There are some very silly and off-topic posts. However, as soon as you discard the nonsense posts then it's pretty much 100% in favour of diss brakes being far superior. I'm glad we cleared this up.

GuyBoden

Guru
Well I have to say this thread has been an interesting read. There are some very silly and off-topic posts. However, as soon as you discard the nonsense posts then it's pretty much 100% in favour of diss brakes being far superior. I'm glad we cleared this up.

Maybe, an interesting debate would be:

What are the best disc brakes?

Hydraulic Disc -vs- Cable Disc brakes.

I'd say that Hydraulic disc are better at stopping, but are cable disc less expensive and easier to maintain?

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Maybe, an interesting debate would be:

What are the best disc brakes?

Hydraulic Disc -vs- Cable Disc brakes.

I'd say that Hydraulic disc are better at stopping, but are cable disc less expensive and easier to maintain?

I’ve had cable, cable actuated hydraulic and full hydraulic.

Full hydraulic wins hands down without a doubt.

If your going to have a cable you might as well stick with the simplicity of rims brakes.

My opinion of course, so some will no doubt disagree, but again in my opinion they would be wrong.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Nice rear

51019651896_a5781f88ac_o.jpg

Top Bottom