Rim vs Discs - again.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
That bike isn't any more comfortable to ride than a Trek Checkpoint or Trek Domane etc.

You've ridden it?

GuyBoden

Guru
Of course you can.

Not on that specific bike, of course, as it is not set to for disc brakes.

But there is no reason whatsoever why a disc brake bike cannot be made with the same geometry.

Yes, "of course you can", the ever popular long distance Surly Long Haul Trucker with rim brakes, became the even more popular Surly Disc Trucker with the same geometry for comfort, a longer wheelbase length and chainstay length.

DiscTrucker_BK1785-2000x1333.jpg

GuyBoden

Guru
One more thing.

If you are cycling around the world, V-Brakes might be a better option, as it would be easier to get parts for V-Brakes in outer Mongolia and other far-flung places than disc brake parts. :laugh:

markemark

Über Member
One more thing.

If you are cycling around the world, V-Brakes might be a better option, as it would be easier to get parts for V-Brakes in outer Mongolia and other far-flung places than disc brake parts. :laugh:

I knew someone who drove from Scotland to Australia (last leg was a ferry) in the 60s and took a spare engine and gearbox in their campervan just in case.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I knew someone who drove from Scotland to Australia (last leg was a ferry) in the 60s and took a spare engine and gearbox in their campervan just in case.

whether that is appropriately prudent or plain bonkers, depends on where the ferry went from. i.e. was it Glasgow, Southampton or Singapore?

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
When I was a student, one housemate kept a spare VW Beetle engine under the sink. It took less than an hour to swap at the roadside.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I think it was either Thailand or Vietnam.

Appropriately prudent then! ^_^ Probably Thailand, in the 60's westerners only went to Vietnam by conscription.

markemark

Über Member
Appropriately prudent then! ^_^ Probably Thailand, in the 60's westerners only went to Vietnam by conscription.

It may have even been India - it was a long time ago I spoke to them about it. It was their honeymoon over a year or so. I can't remember how they got back - they may even done it both ways, I can't remember.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I reckon most of that difference was due to the carbon rims. He was locking his wheels with both types of brakes so both had enough braking power.

I am happy with rim brakes in the dry but do prefer disks in bad weather conditions.
Only watched the emergency stop section... he was clearly skidding for most of the stopping distance on rim brakes, but on the disks i couldn't hear any skidding. Had he managed to keep the rim brake at the point just before locking, he'd have stopped sooner.

simongt

Guru
The youngsters who do the comparisons obviously never had the experience / pleasure of having to do a sudden stop in the wet using basic Fibrax brake blocks on steel rims - ! :rofl:

Top Bottom