100 mile ride training for.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

david1701

Right I want to do the Exmouth Exodus in August and want to have done at least one century before it (so I know in the back of my head that I've done it before so being dark just makes it funner). I have a group of friends who are doing a few sportive type charity rides over the next few weeks all at 55/100m and I was wondering if doing a 55miler at the end of June and then a hundred miler halfway through July would be viable or if I should do both at 100miles.

The furthest I've been is about 50 miles and I do 40ish mile club rides on Sundays with the triathlon club so could I push up to do a 100 mile ride for the end of June do you think?

I'm new to doing these kind of distances but I do a 5 mile each way commute 4 days a week and add to it whenever I can, often making it 10 miles each way+

You seem to be coming from a good base, riding with the Triathlon club without any other factors you'll be able to up your distance no problem. You don't kneed to have done a 100 miler beforehand (maybe 80% of) as the motivation factor will see you the rest but there's no harm in having that 100 in your bag for other psychological reasons. Its not quite a 10ton but my mate is quite a good club rider but his rides are usually 43mile'ish and he stepped up to a 90 miler with me last September, we spent a lot of time at the Cakestops though ;-) Goodluck

If you've done a couple of 50's before, you shouldn't find it too much of an effort to do a ride of 100 miles beforehand. Just remember the usual things about drinking and eating regularly. From what I've read on the write-up's, the Exmouth Exodus won't be rushing along anyway.

OP
OP
D

david1701

ok so you think I'll be ok, just try to get in the long distances. Sweet. Riding with the Triathlon club isn't as helpful as it sounds, I was pretty destroyed after last nights 25 miler (admittedly I had a long day beforehand) riding with 3 guys in their 60's at least :ohmy:

I spose I could take off the rack and buy a saddle bag for tools for the proper rides :biggrin: Just means I can't take my camera for the victory shots

Top Bottom