100 miles in 5 hours challenge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mattobrien

Guru
After the MAMIL averaging 20mph challenge / thread was achieved quickly, it was suggested by @totallyfixed that we ought to have a 100 miles averaging 20mph challenge instead.

I couldn't agree more and am going to set this as a goal for this year and next, if I get no where near it ^_^

I wanted to put a call out for any others who are interested in a bit of a challenge, @Andrew_Culture @4F @Jon George plus all others who are less local to me

Obviously all are welcome for the challenge and perhaps we can use this thread as a means of posting progress and achievements (unlikely on my part, but you never know).

As for the rules, well I was thinking of the 100 miles ought to be achieved in a rolling 5 hours initially, so that we can account for a short stop or two along the way. Other than that, I can't really think of any, but am welcome to suggestions.

My first attempt, at which I will fail, but it will be a good benchmark for the season, is on Sunday at the IPEX sportive in Ipswich. I will post back with news of how slow I went and how much progress is required :bicycle:

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
For me my challenge this year is a distance based one (300 miles in 24 hours) with the hope of getting into the LEL in 2017. I have done a 100 mile (well 97 to be precise) at average of 18.2 mph and was blowing out of my arse trying to hang on the back of an Ipswich Triathalon peleton on my way to Hackney last year and realistically getting a 20 mph average over 100 is going to be a step too far for me. Good luck

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I know I do 100+ milers as a matter of course these days but there is no way I could manage it at that speed :ohmy:

MikeG

Guru
You did mean 6 hours, didn't you? ;)

I'll have a good go at a 6 hour target, riding solo. In fact, I'd be pretty confident of achieving that on a windless day. But 5 hours? No way Jose........

MikeG

Guru
He means 5 hours. As inspired by the 20 miles in 1 hour thread.
I know. I was being playful.....

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I think you should do it by these rules ...
  • 5 hours overall, including any stops
  • Solo, so no wheelsucking (no drafting behind vehicles either)
  • Start and finish in same location so you can't use a tailwind to boost your speed for 100 miles!
:thumbsup:

It is one of my long-term goals. I did the Manchester 100 (just) sub 6 hours a few times when I wasn't really fit, and about 80% solo, having been dropped by everyone else I was with! I did it in 5 h 45 m when I was quite fit, but I was holding myself back for a mate who was tired from overtraining and doing the first 55 miles with his rear brake rubbing!

PS Before going for the challenge as stated above, maybe a more relaxed version first ...?
  • 5 hours rolling time, up to (say) 1 hour for breaks, so sub-6 hours overall
  • Drafting other riders permitted
  • Still 'out and back ' though. There is no challenge in being blown along by a gale-force tailwind for 100 miles!

Stephen C

Über Member
I like this idea, I almost certainly won't be able to do it, but might be fun trying, the Cambridge Busway springs to mind... I also live near the Suffolk boarder (nr Haverhill) so if there is a Suffolk "cheaters" attempt going, I'm keen to come across, not that I might be any help!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I did it years ago so can I count that one, knackered knee means it will not happen again. Also did a 100 off road in 7 hours in the rain, that was hard.
Assuming that the offroad ride was on difficult terrain, that is very good going! The longest offroad rides that I have done were about 55 very tough miles and those rides were were way harder than the handful of very hilly 140 mile road rides that I have done.

uclown2002

Guru
This would be an awesome challenge that I've had on my radar for a while.

I agree largely with Colin that it should start and finish at the same location and be solo. I'm not too bothered about his 3rd stipulation about no stops as it would still be an outstanding achievement anyway. I don't stop anyway so makes no difference to me.

I've recently done a metric century at 20 mph although can't paste link from ipad :angry:

In the interests of motivation and progress perhaps we could post links to shorter distances leading up to the magic 100 mile while maintaining the 20 mph average?

Top Bottom