100 miles in 5 hours challenge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Okay, some time in the next few weeks I'll have a go at completing 40 miles in under two hours. If this doesn't kill me I'll up the distance. This particular MAMIL has been motivated. :thumbsup:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It is highly unlikely that I would ever be able to achieve an average of 20 mph on the hilly routes that I ride round here. At one time, I was averaging 16-17 mph but these days it is more like 10-12 mph. Maybe I could get back to 16-17, 18 even, but 20 would have to be on flatter terrain.

I could take my bike out Garforth/Selby way and do loops making up a century? The potential problem out there is the wind - there is nothing in the way to stop any wind whipping across the open fields. On a good day though ... :whistle:

screenman

Legendary Member
Assuming that the offroad ride was on difficult terrain, that is very good going! The longest offroad rides that I have done were about 55 very tough miles and those rides were were way harder than the handful of very hilly 140 mile road rides that I have done.
It was tough, this was a Lincolnshire Police fitness test, my son and I were invited to join in, there were only 8 in total who attempted it. The route was interesting taking in footpaths across plowed fields etc. for a lot of the way.

OP
OP
mattobrien

mattobrien

Guru
Sorry just returned to the thread now.

I very much like @ColinJ's rule of starting and stopping at the same point.

Initially I was thinking of the softer version i.e. ride with others and also have breaks.

As for progress, I reckon I am about half way there but will know more after the 100 at the weekend.

@Andrew_Culture and I managed a 100 back in Sep-12 averaging 18.4 mph and I did another 100 last year at 18.9mph - on the latter I went too fast to begin with and ran out of steam in the second half. The latter ride had an overall time of 05:22:16 rolling over 101.3 miles and a total elapsed time of 05:49:48, so a touch under half an hour of breaks.

I am getting slowly getting quicker and managed a 50 on Friday at a 20mph average (according to Garmin connect, Strava said 19.9mph - I am taking the higher figure :whistle:) and I also set a new ave PB of 21.2mph yesterday, over a 21.5 mile loop I regularly ride.

I have now got to figure out how to sustain the speed for roughly twice the distance. Riding with others would help a lot and I guess getting quicker over the short stuff ought to help going further at a little slower pace.

I will post my time for the IPEX ride on Sunday and we can judge how I get on for a first attempt. Realistically, I would be delighted with anything over 19mph ave. I will try to ride it alone and avoid any wheel hugging, but I may get too tempted by a little help during the latter stages.

As you may be able to tell by my profile, I reside in Suffolk, so no hilly routes for us, unless we travel a long way - helps with the attempt.

400bhp

Guru
Good challenge.

So mny factors that can affect it though, but so long as you are prepared to overlook them then it's something to strive for.

Why not do it in a group with the Norwich posse and then work backwards, i.e. do it first in a group then on your own. The stronger ones pull a bit faster than the slower ones, but overall the group achieves it.

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
I like the sound of this! I have a 57 mile loop I'll do solo in 3 hours with a bit left in the tank. I'm going to have a look at how I can get this up to a century and maybe target this for the summer.

Fasta Asloth

Pursuit bike in the velodrome here I come...flat and no wind, might be a tad boring though...;)

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
For me my challenge this year is a distance based one (300 miles in 24 hours) with the hope of getting into the LEL in 2017. I have done a 100 mile (well 97 to be precise) at average of 18.2 mph and was blowing out of my arse trying to hang on the back of an Ipswich Triathalon peleton on my way to Hackney last year and realistically getting a 20 mph average over 100 is going to be a step too far for me. Good luck

I haven't read the rest of this thread, but dear god I won't be going that fast on the way to Hackney this year :smile:

Reactions: 4F

MikeG

Guru
.....As you may be able to tell by my profile, I reside in Suffolk, so no hilly routes for us, unless we travel a long way - helps with the attempt.

That's a very different part of Suffolk from me, then. We've got plenty of hills around here, near Sudbury.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
It is highly unlikely that I would ever be able to achieve an average of 20 mph on the hilly routes that I ride round here. At one time, I was averaging 16-17 mph but these days it is more like 10-12 mph. Maybe I could get back to 16-17, 18 even, but 20 would have to be on flatter terrain.

I could take my bike out Garforth/Selby way and do loops making up a century? The potential problem out there is the wind - there is nothing in the way to stop any wind whipping across the open fields. On a good day though ... :whistle:

Come to Suffolk, you'll be a rocket! Unless there are Suffolk training hills about (headwinds).

Top Bottom