100 miles in 5 hours challenge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
No, don't.

It's all relative.
Very good. [assuming the pun was intentional].

OP
OP
mattobrien

mattobrien

Guru
That's a very different part of Suffolk from me, then. We've got plenty of hills around here, near Sudbury.
I don't think there are any categorised climbs in suffolk, so while we have mounds, I will stand by the assertion we have no hills.

I will concede that your direction is more rolling that east suffolk, which is positively flat. We might average 30 feet of ascent per mile if we are lucky.

Personally, I think while getting up a hill can be hard work, you at least get a rest on the way down. There isn't much in the way of free wheeling in suffolk, well not for any distance, so it is kind of constant pedalling. You see I am getting my excuses in early now...

MikeG

Guru
I don't think there are any categorised climbs in suffolk, so while we have mounds, I will stand by the assertion we have no hills.........I will concede that your direction is more rolling that east suffolk, which is positively flat. We might average 30 feet of ascent per mile if we are lucky.........
[derail] This is typical, rather than anything special: a short ride around Bures and locale. Into and out of the Stour and Colne valleys produces plenty of climbing. [/derail]
tBiMclB.jpg

Norry1

Legendary Member
I managed this during last year's RideLondon - however that was riding in groups much of the time and with no need to stop at junctions etc. I can't imagine I could do it solo (other than on a TT bike).

martint235

Dog on a bike
A good challenge but not one I'll be doing any time soon. Like @ianrauk I ride a few hundred milers and I'm comfortable riding a 100 solo in under 6 hours but under 5 is just that little bit too quick.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
, 240 miles in 12 hours. The benchmark in distance riding. Any takers?

12 hours :eek: I have done that distance in 16 hours and 3 mins riding time, I don't think I could shave 4 hours off that...

Last edited:

uclown2002

Guru
http://app.strava.com/activities/119963886

That's the furthest/longest I've ridden at >20mph.

I recall weather conditions were very good, although terrain not flat. 79th consecutive day riding as well averaging 50 miles. On No2 bike also.

OK still a long way short of 100m, but I reckon I could do it in perfect conditions and terrain, and perhaps a little rested.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mattobrien

mattobrien

Guru
Considering I posted this challenge on the other thread as a bit of a joke, I'm amazed that some of you are taking up the challenge, it's a very difficult one that few will ever achieve. There is of course a more difficult one should this prove to be too easy :whistle:, 240 miles in 12 hours. The benchmark in distance riding. Any takers?
None of us have test attempted, let alone achieved your previous challenge. Give us a chance before setting the next one ^_^

Top Bottom