100 miles in 5 hours challenge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
Some of the times on the Road Record Association make some interesting reading.

http://www.rra.org.uk. - 100 miles in 3:11:11 !
But these are usually done in freak conditions and starting at the tops of hills.

I've done a few longish rides myself over the years, but they have all been all day affairs.
The one and only timed 100 mile TT I've ever finished (1968), did in 5hrs and 10 seconds - just missing the target 20mph! I've tried to better this, but always blow up at the 70 mile mark and retire.

Have every respect for the long distance time trialists. Some of the times/distances they achieve are incredible.

Keith

e-rider

crappy member
After the MAMIL averaging 20mph challenge / thread was achieved quickly, it was suggested by @totallyfixed that we ought to have a 100 miles averaging 20mph challenge instead.

I couldn't agree more and am going to set this as a goal for this year and next, if I get no where near it ^_^

I wanted to put a call out for any others who are interested in a bit of a challenge, @Andrew_Culture @4F @Jon George plus all others who are less local to me

Obviously all are welcome for the challenge and perhaps we can use this thread as a means of posting progress and achievements (unlikely on my part, but you never know).

As for the rules, well I was thinking of the 100 miles ought to be achieved in a rolling 5 hours initially, so that we can account for a short stop or two along the way. Other than that, I can't really think of any, but am welcome to suggestions.

My first attempt, at which I will fail, but it will be a good benchmark for the season, is on Sunday at the IPEX sportive in Ipswich. I will post back with news of how slow I went and how much progress is required :bicycle:
I have tried this challenge a number of times already and the best I have managed was 5:10 on two occasions - I think I've got it in me, but it doesn't want to come out!

50000tears

79th consecutive day riding as well averaging 50 miles.

That is insane. I just did 90 miles in last 2 days and badly need a day off now. Guess I just need to MTFU and get out there some more!

If you don't mind me asking though, how many of those rides were solo or were you usually with others?

uclown2002

Guru
That is insane. I just did 90 miles in last 2 days and badly need a day off now. Guess I just need to MTFU and get out there some more!

If you don't mind me asking though, how many of those rides were solo or were you usually with others?

All solo.

Today's ride was 121st straight day :- http://app.strava.com/activities/133338724
That top speed is BS as is max HR. Garmin connect has max speed as 43.8 or something so not sure what happened with strava.
2014sofar.png

I do like riding my bikes though ^_^

Last edited:

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Okay, some time in the next few weeks I'll have a go at completing 40 miles in under two hours. If this doesn't kill me I'll up the distance. This particular MAMIL has been motivated. :thumbsup:
I have just done something silly ....
This morning, I got home earlier than expected from my part-time job and thought 'what the heck' and stuck the aero bars on the #1 bike. As I did so, I ate a couple of large slices of flapjack and prepared a bottle of energy drink and one of plain water.
I did about three miles of warm-up and then put the hammer down - straight into the teeth of quite a headwind.
At about 25 miles the dopamine rush kicked in and the ride became, if not truly enjoyable, at little easier to bear.
At about 33 miles I became conscious of the fact that I was probably a little spaced-out and becoming a little reckless.
At exactly 40 miles, I stopped, rammed the single slice of flapjack I'd brought with me down my throat, finished off the remains of my one energy drink and the water.
At about 2 miles into my recovery ride home I bonked - big time. I figure if this had happened while I'd been pushing, I'd probably would have crashed.
I have spent most of the afternoon kipping on a swing seat in the garden.
For someone who endeavours to try not to do stupid things, I achieved exactly that, today. But the positives? While it is extremely doubtful whether I'd attempt a solo 100 miles at those sort of speeds (even with far better preparation), and I'm learning that this sort of pushing the limits probably has a limited amount of enjoyment for me, I'd still be up for attempting it with a few people to occasionally rest behind if the opportunity arises.

My time, today? 2hrs exactly. ^_^

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I have just done something silly ....
This morning, I got home earlier than expected from my part-time job and thought 'what the heck' and stuck the aero bars on the #1 bike. As I did so, I ate a couple of large slices of flapjack and prepared a bottle of energy drink and one of plain water.
I did about three miles of warm-up and then put the hammer down - straight into the teeth of quite a headwind.
At about 25 miles the dopamine rush kicked in and the ride became, if not truly enjoyable, at little easier to bear.
At about 33 miles I became conscious of the fact that I was probably a little spaced-out and becoming a little reckless.
At exactly 40 miles, I stopped, rammed the single slice of flapjack I'd brought with me down my throat, finished off the remains of my one energy drink and the water.
At about 2 miles into my recovery ride home I bonked - big time. I figure if this had happened while I'd been pushing, I'd probably would have crashed.
I have spent most of the afternoon kipping on a swing seat in the garden.
For someone who endeavours to try not to do stupid things, I achieved exactly that, today. But the positives? While it is extremely doubtful whether I'd attempt a solo 100 miles at those sort of speeds (even with far better preparation), and I'm learning that this sort of pushing the limits probably has a limited amount of enjoyment for me, I'd still be up for attempting it with a few people to occasionally rest behind if the opportunity arises.

My time, today? 2hrs exactly. ^_^

Bonking is a harsh lesson indeed!

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
Bonking is a harsh lesson indeed!
Especially your first time....

50000tears

All solo.

Today's ride was 121st straight day :- http://app.strava.com/activities/133338724
That top speed is BS as is max HR. Garmin connect has max speed as 43.8 or something so not sure what happened with strava.
View attachment 43226

I do like riding my bikes though ^_^

Mightily impressive. I know you must have riding for a good few years but these are numbers I can only dream of! Also gives a lie to the notion of needing tons of rest days. Obviously your legs are well conditioned to spending day after day doing plenty of miles, and fitness will be super high too but I tip my hat sir. :thumbsup:

uclown2002

Guru
Mightily impressive. I know you must have riding for a good few years but these are numbers I can only dream of! Also gives a lie to the notion of needing tons of rest days. Obviously your legs are well conditioned to spending day after day doing plenty of miles, and fitness will be super high too but I tip my hat sir. :thumbsup:

Thank you.
Not been riding 3 years yet, but was relatively fit to start with through other activities.
I don't think you need tons of rest days, unless you are properly training and beasting it a lot. For us who just ride I think you could do it every day. Time and other commitments allowing of course.

Stephen C

Über Member
Following on from my successful commute yesterday morning, I tried to average 20mph on the way home as well, but missed by 0.5mph, which taken with the 20.5mph in the morning, give me 20mph for the 30 mile round trip.

I know it's not completely within the rules and as impressive as what others have done, but this has been a good motivation to push myself a bit more. My next goal it to average 20mph for a full weeks commute, then go from there!

I did the London 100 last year in 5 hours 20 minutes without drafting anyone. That's a pretty easy and fast course though and the weather conditions were ideal!
So far this year I've done a 30 miler in 1hour and 19mins.
Could I do 100 in 5 hours or under? I'm not so sure.

Top Bottom