100 miles in 5 hours challenge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
Did the BikeEvents Cambridge 100 this morning as part of a work charity/fund raising type thing.

According to my Garmin: 100.04 miles @ 4:52:27 (moving), 4:53:12 (elapsed).

So that's ~20.5mph with near zero climbing.

That's only about 1 mph slower than I can manage over 20 miles when I'm really pushing it as hard as I can, so great effort! ^_^

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
Had a spin out this morning with this challenge in mind. Just couldn't get into a rhythm though and peeled of at 42 miles posting in at 19.1 mph av. This challenge is do-able, but on the right day with the right mindset. Today was not that day for me :sad:

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
Did the BikeEvents Cambridge 100 this morning as part of a work charity/fund raising type thing.

According to my Garmin: 100.04 miles @ 4:52:27 (moving), 4:53:12 (elapsed).

So that's ~20.5mph with near zero climbing.

Yep, a fine effort. Had a feeling you'd be able to achieve this after seeing your MyCyclingLog posts. Nice work! :thumbsup:

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Had a spin out this morning with this challenge in mind. Just couldn't get into a rhythm though and peeled of at 42 miles posting in at 19.1 mph av. This challenge is do-able, but on the right day with the right mindset. Today was not that day for me :sad:
I'm sure that mindset - and conditions - are just a few weeks away. :thumbsup:

http://app.strava.com/activities/136858915

'Only' a 50 but far from flat!

400bhp

Guru
I came dangerously close to doing 60 miles at 20 mph average, missing out by 0.2mph, gutted.

http://app.strava.com/activities/137357323

There is always next time and I tend to ride a bit better in the morning, whereas this was grabbing the opportunity in the afternoon.

More updates when I actually achieve something worth sharing...

It looks like you had to stop (traffic lights?) 3 times, so that could habe knocked 0.2 off.

what I thought was interesting was your average heart rate-144.

Now, I clearly dont know how hard you thought you wear working, but given it looks like ypu were trying to get a 20mph average, then I would say you thought it was hard?

vert unscientifically, id say you can go harder or you wre2 pretty fatigued.

Fwiw a lot of my rides are like that, with most being because I dont want to fry harder and fewer because im fatigued.

OP
OP
mattobrien

mattobrien

Guru
It looks like you had to stop (traffic lights?) 3 times, so that could habe knocked 0.2 off.

Now, I clearly dont know how hard you thought you wear working, but given it looks like ypu were trying to get a 20mph average, then I would say you thought it was hard?

Fwiw a lot of my rides are like that, with most being because I dont want to fry harder and fewer because im fatigued.
Fatigue kicked in in the last 10-15 miles, before that I was trying to pace myself a little to unsuccessfully prevent too much fatigue in the last part. Sadly I also had to battle a head wind at the end, that than the beginning.

I tend to ride better in the morning, so next time, it'll be a case of up, breakfast and ride. I certainly won't get roped into any gardening pre ride...

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
I came dangerously close to doing 60 miles at 20 mph average, missing out by 0.2mph, gutted.

http://app.strava.com/activities/137357323

There is always next time and I tend to ride a bit better in the morning, whereas this was grabbing the opportunity in the afternoon.

More updates when I actually achieve something worth sharing...
Mighty fine effort!
But can I ask what you ate and drank during the ride? I'm still seeking the right balance and I'm curious as to what others do to maintain the effort.

OP
OP
mattobrien

mattobrien

Guru
Mighty fine effort!
But can I ask what you ate and drank during the ride? I'm still seeking the right balance and I'm curious as to what others do to maintain the effort.
I had two 700ml bottles with me, with high 5 caffeinated tablets. In terms of food, a pack of three millionaires shortbread, one before I started, one at 25 miles and the last at 45 miles. I am not suggesting I quite got the balance right, but then I didn't stop at all, so no rest, which may have helped.

MikeG

Guru

You REALLY need a new keypad!

Top Bottom