100 miles in 5 hours challenge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
This has been one of my (solo) targets from when I started riding seriously four years ago (and the other side of 50), but unless I take drugs, get younger, or move somewhere flatter than Devon, I think I'll have to concede. Though I've done the 97-mile Force Century Cycle Challenge [sic] twice at non-stop 20.3mph and 20.0mph as part of small groups, and a couple of solo non-stop 75-milers at 19.3mph, that extra bit of sustained power to crack the solo 100 is just beyond me. Pah. It's a tough nut, especially when there are hills involved.

OP
OP
mattobrien

mattobrien

Guru
I did a slightly shorter version of the same route today, 56 miles in total.

I did have a few beers last night which didn't particularly help my cause and I did a short, fast ride yesterday which may have tired me a little.

I didn't really get going in the first hour, just didn't really have the enthusiasm, but then got passed by a couple of riders while removing arm warmers and eating a flapjack.

Nothing like riders in the distance to spur you on.

Much better pace in the second hour and just about managed to maintain it for the last 45 mins too.

Total 56 miles, average 20.1mph. http://www.strava.com/activities/142458781

Just now need to figure out how to add 44 miles and maintain pace. No beer the night before might help...

MikeG

Guru
Not wishing to rub it in, but my better half did 100 miles in 4 hrs 43 mins yesterday on a very rolling course in the heat. In fact, if she hadn't had a mechanical it would have been much quicker as she was banging out consecutive 27 min 10's at well below maximum effort. Come on guys, more effort needed :whistle:.
We don't ride that sort of bike. 100 miles on my elbows, looking at tarmac through my eyebrows? No thanks.

That isn't to criticise those who chose/ choose to do what your OH did. It's just that it isn't for everybody.

uclown2002

Guru
Not wishing to rub it in, but my better half did 100 miles in 4 hrs 43 mins yesterday on a very rolling course in the heat. In fact, if she hadn't had a mechanical it would have been much quicker as she was banging out consecutive 27 min 10's at well below maximum effort. Come on guys, more effort needed :whistle:.
Unreal!!!

OP
OP
mattobrien

mattobrien

Guru
I suspect the main reason behind this is that your OH is a better / fitter cyclist that me. I have some work to do, but am slowly progressing. I just need to work out how to add to my distance while maintaining the pace…

Chapeau to her though.

OP
OP
mattobrien

mattobrien

Guru
Solo ride? - check!
No stopping? - check!
Start and finish at same place? - check!

http://app.strava.com/activities/143054805

Also:-
No rest days this year.
No breakfast. (Normal for me)
No fuel on ride other than 1litre High5. (Again normal for me)
No hills also!

Well done Sir, a good achievement. An interesting take on starting and finishing in the same spot, good job no-one said circular route :thumbsup:

Did it get boring riding back and forth? If not, possibly a tactic I may need to employ^_^

uclown2002

Guru
Well done Sir, a good achievement. An interesting take on starting and finishing in the same spot, good job no-one said circular route :thumbsup:

Did it get boring riding back and forth? If not, possibly a tactic I may need to employ^_^

Hard to find long flattish sections where I live so dumped bike in car and drove 15ish miles to this relatively flat 17 mile stretch of tarmac. So up and down 3 times was the target.

Mentally it wasn't too bad as concentrating on HR and Cadence and had my bluetooth earphones in.
Physically I was ok up to about 75-80 miles then legs started to die but managed to hang in there.

If I planned better I could have used that stretch and extended it East to get a longer loop.

Maybe next time!

OP
OP
mattobrien

mattobrien

Guru
Hard to find long flattish sections where I live so dumped bike in car and drove 15ish miles to this relatively flat 17 mile stretch of tarmac. So up and down 3 times was the target.

Mentally it wasn't too bad as concentrating on HR and Cadence and had my bluetooth earphones in.
Physically I was ok up to about 75-80 miles then legs started to die but managed to hang in there.

If I planned better I could have used that stretch and extended it East to get a longer loop.

Maybe next time!
Good work either way.

I went short and fast on Saturday, which meant I was a little thirsty Saturday night. Four bottles of beer and tired legs wasn't the best prep for my ride on Sunday. I really didn't get going for an hour as I slowly came to. I need to work on stamina over 50 miles, as that is where I am getting hit at the moment. I managed to get a 20mph ave, but need to extend the distance, a lot.

I am planning on a combination of short and fast to build up output and then longer and slower to help build stamina. Hopefully that'll work for me. What did surprise me was how low my heart rate was on Sunday. I think I averaged 139bpm and I can see you were slightly less.

Saturday on my faster run I averaged 160bpm, but was pushing on a little.

I now have two goals, one being an average of 22mph over at least 20 miles and then this challenge. I am now 0.4mph off the 22 target and a fair few miles off 100 in 5. Not sure which is going to be easiest.

uclown2002

Guru
How old are you Matt?
I'm nearly 51 and my average HR today was approximately 76% of MHR so I can work much harder I feel, but legs are a little fatigued and hold me back because I ride so much.

Top Bottom