100 miles in 5 hours challenge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Following on from my successful commute yesterday morning, I tried to average 20mph on the way home as well, but missed by 0.5mph, which taken with the 20.5mph in the morning, give me 20mph for the 30 mile round trip.
I'm loath to rain on your parade, but if your outward average was 19.5 mph and your inward 20.5 mph, then your total average is not 20 mph.
Time taken to complete 15 miles at 19.5 mph is 47 mins 22 secs.
Time taken to complete 15 miles at 20.5 mph is 43 mins 54 secs.
Total time is 91 mins 16 secs.
Therefore average speed over 30 miles is 19.72 mph.
It's an easy mistake to make - I've done it myself in the past :whistle: - but heck, it's still a damn fine speed!

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Harsh but fair Jon.

Stephen C

Über Member
I'm loath to rain on your parade, but if your outward average was 19.5 mph and your inward 20.5 mph, then your total average is not 20 mph.
Time taken to complete 15 miles at 19.5 mph is 47 mins 22 secs.
Time taken to complete 15 miles at 20.5 mph is 43 mins 54 secs.
Total time is 91 mins 16 secs.
Therefore average speed over 30 miles is 19.72 mph.
It's an easy mistake to make - I've done it myself in the past :whistle: - but heck, it's still a damn fine speed!

You are quite right, I was being very rough with my rounding, it was within an order of magnitude...Anyway, it doesn't matter, a beastly headwind this evening has blown me way off target!

It's a good thing I'm not doing a PhD or anything involving maths at the moment...:whistle:

North Norfolk 100 mile Time Trial 17th May, dr_pink hopes to be racing this as good friends of ours are organising it. If you don't fancy a crack at it and you are in the area some support would be extremely welcome. This is a very lumpy course, not really what you would expect in this neck of the woods, so not fast at all, maybe a good 30 mins slower than a flattish DC or even more.

OP
OP
mattobrien

mattobrien

Guru
This was not an attempt!
http://app.strava.com/activities/133664759
Set out to do a steady 50m but weather was nice and legs good so pushed on. Far too lumpy for the target anyway, so need to seek out a flatter route. I do wish I'd taken my No1 bike though.
Even if it was an attempt 18.7mph average would be a very good benchmark. I can see with you mileage and current speed 100 in five hours isn't going to be too far away.

If you ever fancy some flatter terrain, Suffolk is wonderful. It would give me a wheel to cling on to for a full hundred miles and may even allow me to complete the challenge ^_^

Stephen C

Über Member
Following on from my successful commute yesterday morning, I tried to average 20mph on the way home as well, but missed by ~0.5mph, which taken with the ~20.5mph in the morning, give me ~20mph for the ~30 mile round trip.

Fixed my original post, so it is now approximately correct...However, I have now crunched the actual numbers (as accurately as my Garmin is/will allow), and for 3 legs of commuting I managed 43.73 miles in 130.9 minutes, giving me 20.04mph! Saying that, the wind picked up last night and this morning and I'm now at 19.5mph over 72.8 miles.

I'm actually really enjoying this challenge, it's making me cycle differently, and I hope, more efficiently, focusing my mind a bit more. I think this is possible, but just not quite yet, there are a few things that will give me extra time (no backpack, not cycling into a town with lots of stop/start riding, choosing the right route), but there is also going to be a fair bit of good fortune involve in the form of not much wind!

I'm going to keep at this, and when the weather really perks up, I'll give it a good go, I'll keep you posted!

OP
OP
mattobrien

mattobrien

Guru
Right then, first test / benchmark of the year today with a 100 miler ride this morning - the IPEX sportive.

I will get my excuses in for failure before I start and the first is a lack of fitness. Other than that it is a little cooler today c. 12 degrees that I would like - 16-20 degrees would have ben perfect and also supposed to be a tough windier than over the last week or two at around 14mph.

Anyway, this will be my benchmark ride to see how much improvement I need to complete the 100 in the magic five.

The die starts at 08:00, so I suspect I will be finished at some point after 13:00. I will post how I get on...

SimonJKH

Blue collar cyclist
Good luck!

OP
OP
mattobrien

mattobrien

Guru
Managed to post 18.6mph, slower than I had hoped, over 104.7 miles. It would have been 3 miles shorter if I had been more observant with the signs…

http://www.strava.com/activities/134727463

My left calf decided to give up / feel a little crampy around the 60 mile mark, which made the next 45 miles a little interesting. The rest of me gave up a little later, sadly before the end. I started to rue the extra three miles at that point.

In hindsight I went off too quickly, despite trying not to and paid for that at the end, badly.

I am waiting for Strava to work out the actual elevation as the 5,800 feet from my Garmin is a little on the optimistic side. They did managed to put the route though ever little mound in Suffolk and Essex, so I expect a little more ascent than usual.

Learning from this ride for the attempt (when I do it), try somewhere a little flatter and go on a less windy day. There is also something about a bit more endurance training, but I shall ponder that while I drink beer tonight.

uclown2002

Guru
Managed to post 18.6mph, slower than I had hoped, over 104.7 miles. It would have been 3 miles shorter if I had been more observant with the signs…

http://www.strava.com/activities/134727463

My left calf decided to give up / feel a little crampy around the 60 mile mark, which made the next 45 miles a little interesting. The rest of me gave up a little later, sadly before the end. I started to rue the extra three miles at that point.

In hindsight I went off too quickly, despite trying not to and paid for that at the end, badly.

I am waiting for Strava to work out the actual elevation as the 5,800 feet from my Garmin is a little on the optimistic side. They did managed to put the route though ever little mound in Suffolk and Essex, so I expect a little more ascent than usual.

Learning from this ride for the attempt (when I do it), try somewhere a little flatter and go on a less windy day. There is also something about a bit more endurance training, but I shall ponder that while I drink beer tonight.
A fine effort! :bravo:

Top Bottom