105 10 speed cassette loose

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Not a lockring or spacer issue afaik as its tight in that direction but you can move the individual rings forward and back a little on the free hub .
Never seen it with sram cassettes i normally use or the old 8 speed before hand .

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Have the freehub splines been damaged?

I've seen this with alloy freehubs, the cassette eats into the splines and eventually they either stick so you cant get the cassette off, or work slightly loose.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

I've seen this with alloy freehubs, the cassette eats into the splines and eventually they either stick so you cant get the cassette off, or work slightly loose.
They were fine when i took the old sram cassette off 60 miles ago.

Freehub body damage by loose cassette rings.

By loose I don't mean not tightened, I mean individual rings not riveted to a spider.

This is pretty common on aluminium freehub bodies and an artifact of Shimano's 1980s design with shallow splines that did not foresee the advent of the weight weenie and aluminium freehub bodies. Campag was a bit more fortunate since it only redesigned its freehub body a few years after Shimano and did foresee the problem and solved it with deeper splines. Shimano is stuck with the legacy and so is everyone else who copied Shimano's design.

The rings moving on the body is no problem per se but can become an issue once the grooves are so deep that the cassette cannot come off. Then you need two chainwhips to reverse the movement and then slide the rings off.

The treatment at first is to file off the little bumps caused by the shifting material. Usually the problem settles itself because the aluminium quickly work-hardens and an equilibrium point is reached. Super strong riders even work through the hardened material and the only option for them is a steel freehub body or Campag equipment. Shimano's latest freehubs use a new deeper spline and special cassettes to eliminate this problem.

Freehub body indentation.jpg

In this example I filed off the really bad ridges, which as you can see, were caused by the loose rings at the cassette's small end.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Its a new cassette and the freehub had no damage , i think i will transfer the old but good sram back onto it and use the 105 on the commuter

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Freehub body damage by loose cassette rings.

By loose I don't mean not tightened, I mean individual rings not riveted to a spider.

This is pretty common on aluminium freehub bodies and an artifact of Shimano's 1980s design with shallow splines that did not foresee the advent of the weight weenie and aluminium freehub bodies. Campag was a bit more fortunate since it only redesigned its freehub body a few years after Shimano and did foresee the problem and solved it with deeper splines. Shimano is stuck with the legacy and so is everyone else who copied Shimano's design.

The rings moving on the body is no problem per se but can become an issue once the grooves are so deep that the cassette cannot come off. Then you need two chainwhips to reverse the movement and then slide the rings off.

The treatment at first is to file off the little bumps caused by the shifting material. Usually the problem settles itself because the aluminium quickly work-hardens and an equilibrium point is reached. Super strong riders even work through the hardened material and the only option for them is a steel freehub body or Campag equipment. Shimano's latest freehubs use a new deeper spline and special cassettes to eliminate this problem.

View attachment 354895

In this example I filed off the really bad ridges, which as you can see, were caused by the loose rings at the cassette's small end.
Sorted , the spacer on the freehub that worked with the sram cassette was not wide enough for the shimano one , tight enough so there was no visible play against the lock nut/ hub but enough so the individual rings had some lateral play .Stuck a bit wider one and all is good :smile:

uclown2002

Guru
Think 10 speed shimano cassettes are (or used to be) marginally (1mm) narrower than other 10 speed.

I have 2 spacers on my 11 speed wheels using 10 speed 105 cassette.

Top Bottom