105 5800 outer chainring - in two parts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bpsmith

Veteran
There’s clearly some crossover in naming involved.

Usually a screw creates its own thread in The object it’s anchored in. A bolt is usually used where the object has a pre drilled hole which the bolt can pass straight through, aside from the head, in order to fix the other side.

A bolt is generally stronger than a screw.

In bicycle terms, the chainrings have predrilled holes through which the bolt shank passes, to fix into the pre threaded crank body.

Similar thing in place with the limit screws on a derailleur, except the set screw threads into a pre threaded body and presses against the other side in order for adjustment to be made. The difference being that it is not holding 2 parts together, one of which has a pre drilled hole that the shank passes through.

Never heard of anyone calling them chainring (set) screws. Always been bolts.

Ajax Bay

Guru
In bicycle terms, the chainrings have predrilled holes through which the bolt shank passes, to fix into the pre threaded crank body.
Chain ring bolts pass through these predrilled holes but then are secured by engaging in sleeve nuts (which have a slot in them to allow a screwdriver to prevent their unwanted rotation). The use of threadlock is sensible.
All I was saying is that chainring bolts are NOT 'two piece'. How could they be? I do not wish to call them 'screws'.
To secure two rings (eg outer and middle in a triple) with the same BCD a bolt and a sleeve nut is used (x 4 or 5). One ring eg the inner on a triple crankset, is secured by just a bolt is used (a 'one piece bolt' ^_^)(x 5 normally).
Nut - A fastener with female threads,
Bolt - A fastener with male threads, usually with a hexagonal head. Strictly speaking, it's only a bolt if the threads do not extend the full length of the shaft.
If the threads do extend full length, technically it is a "screw " but only pedants insist on this distinction.
https://spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s173p3399/SPA-CYCLES-Chainring-bolts-(head)-x5
https://spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s173p3400/SPA-CYCLES-Chainring-bolts-(sleeve)-x5

rrarider

Veteran
I'm a pedant. If a fastener has a male thread for its whole length, it's a screw, no matter what diameter or length it is.

Last edited:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I don't think the OP was referring to the bolts that fasten the ring to the spider but to the pins seen adjacent to the chainring teeth in the OP's illustration. I would be very concerned if my chain was fouling the chainring fixing bolts themselves - indeed I don't see how that is possible with the 5800 chainset, unless youve unshipped the chain :thumbsdown:

bpsmith

Veteran
Chain ring bolts pass through these predrilled holes but then are secured by engaging in sleeve nuts (which have a slot in them to allow a screwdriver to prevent their unwanted rotation). The use of threadlock is sensible.
All I was saying is that chainring bolts are NOT 'two piece'. How could they be? I do not wish to call them 'screws'.
To secure two rings (eg outer and middle in a triple) with the same BCD a bolt and a sleeve nut is used (x 4 or 5). One ring eg the inner on a triple crankset, is secured by just a bolt is used (a 'one piece bolt' ^_^)(x 5 normally).
Nut - A fastener with female threads,
Bolt - A fastener with male threads, usually with a hexagonal head. Strictly speaking, it's only a bolt if the threads do not extend the full length of the shaft.
If the threads do extend full length, technically it is a "screw " but only pedants insist on this distinction.
https://spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s173p3399/SPA-CYCLES-Chainring-bolts-(head)-x5
https://spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s173p3400/SPA-CYCLES-Chainring-bolts-(sleeve)-x5
I know what you’re saying and agree, although newer cranks do not have the nut element as the female thread is built into the crank. (Surprised somebody hasn’t taken us to task for even using the male/female thread terms on here.)

As far as it being a bolt if it’s got a threadless shank, there can’t be something known as a wood screw as it surely would then actually be a wood bolt? ;)

Top Bottom