105 Cassette lock ring removal...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have a Shimano 105 25-12 cassette and this lock ring tool... http://www.evanscycl...ssette-ec006783

The packaging says Shimano, and ive look at the campy version of the tool just incase I have the wrong one and its not.

But it just doesn't want to fit, the splines line up but they are all slightly too big to fit inside the smaller lock ring...

Any ideas?

Image1 & Image2

Does it fit in at all ? my tools won't fit in snuggly but go in far enough I can remove the cassette other than that I'm stumped. Not that it helps, I removed a 105 (12-25, 10sp) cassette 1700 miles back no problem and fitted a 105 (11-25, 10sp) cassette.

OP
OP
D

DrSquirrel

The spline slots are twice the width of the splines on the tool, which wouldn't stop them fitting - they are a bit thick (as in overall diameter) which stops them going in.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Since that lockring doesn't look like a Shimano one, I looked and it transpires that it is a Fulcrum ring for 11T Shimano cassettes for their wheels.

The good news is that it is for Shimano cassette (i.e. should be ok with a Shimano spline tool), the weird thing is it is used on a 12T cassette. What might have happened is that the lockring is slightly squished/distorted/forced, but that is pure guessing on my part - I just think that the chance of the tool being badly made is smaller than the lockring having been bent.

On the other hand Fulcrums are made by Campag so it is possible that it needs a Campag cassette tool?

Hope this is of some small help.

OP
OP
D

DrSquirrel

My lock ring looks nothing like any other 105 online - maybe the lock ring isnt a shimano one (even if the cassette is).

I don't see why another manufacterers (FSA etc) lock ring though would have a different pattern :/

posted this before I saw the top, which goes along with my thinking.

What part of that document makes you think its a Fulcrum? edit: ah, the R1-025 - I tried looking for that.

gds58

Über Member
Do you think that the tool would go in with a little 'persuasion' in the form of a gentle tap with a rubber mallet! Once you've got it in the first time it should then be easier after that. I've had a similar issue with a bottom bracket tool for a splined BB. It just needed a little tap with a persuader and then it was fine!

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
The spline slots are twice the width of the splines on the tool, which wouldn't stop them fitting - they are a bit thick (as in overall diameter) which stops them going in.

Campag lockring's "slots" are roughly 50% wider than Shimano's.

OP
OP
D

DrSquirrel

Reading into "Fulcrum lockrings", it seems this is "campag".

Still doesn't explain why a 11T lockring is on a 12T cassette.

Question is

1) can a campag lockring fit a shimano freebody (assuming the freebody is shimano)?

2) can a shimano cassette fit a campag freebody (assuming the freebody is campag)?

2old2care

Über Member
That doesn't look like a Shimano lock ring to me. Just checked one in my garage!

In any case it looks worn!!!

The number of teeth on the smallest cog doesn't matter, it's the number of cogs itself ie 10 speed, 10 cogs. :biggrin:

If all else fails hammer and chisel :ohmy:

PpPete

Legendary Member
I'd say you have two options... modify the lockring with a needle file until the slots are deep enough to mate with your tool, or remove this lockring with a hammer & suitable small chisel (or scrap screwdriver) and replace it with a proper Shimano one.

Top Bottom