105 Cassette lock ring removal...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
I'd say you have two options... modify the lockring with a needle file until the slots are deep enough to mate with your tool, or remove this lockring with a hammer & suitable small chisel (or scrap screwdriver) and replace it with a proper Shimano one.

or try a Campag lockring removal tool?

Reading into "Fulcrum lockrings", it seems this is "campag".

Still doesn't explain why a 11T lockring is on a 12T cassette.

Question is

1) can a campag lockring fit a shimano freebody (assuming the freebody is shimano)?

2) can a shimano cassette fit a campag freebody (assuming the freebody is campag)?

A lockring is just a nut with splines allowing a splined tool to secure it on to the hub and there are two main standards (Shimano and Campag). Shimano and Campag lockrings aren't interchangeable because they have different splines as well as threads being very slightly different in size.

The freehub on the other hand has a different set of splines that are again configured to either one of two main standards (Shimano and Campag), which govern which cassette system will fit, i.e. Shimano/sram or Compag. Hence a Shimano cassette will not fit a Campag freehub or vice versa. However for some wheels/hubs you can buy Shimano or Campag freehub to fit. That is the case for Fulcrum wheels (although Fulcrum is owned by Campag). When you buy their wheels you can choose whether they are for Shimano or Campag cassettes.

Am not sure what cassette you have but what you have is a Fulcrum lockring for 11T Shimano cassette although yours is a 12T cassette. I don't have a Fulcrum wheel, but I have a set of Campag wheels for which different lockrings are required dependent on whether the (Campag) cassette's smallest cog is 11T or 12T.

I have a set of Campag wheels for which different lockrings are required dependent on whether the (Campag) cassette's smallest cog is 11T or 12T.
Well you learn something every day, cheers, I swapped my 105 12-25 cassette for a 11-25 and assumed I could do the same with the Bianchi (campy) but I guess I cant without buying a new tool.

OP
OP
D

DrSquirrel

I bought myself a cheap campag remover - I could just remove the old one and buy a shimano lock ring, but this way I will have both tools for future use for around the same cost.

Assuming it fits :biggrin:

I'm not sure why this would be worn though if its never been off.

I bought myself a cheap campag remover - I could just remove the old one and buy a shimano lock ring, but this way I will have both tools for future use for around the same cost.

Assuming it fits :biggrin:

I'm not sure why this would be worn though if its never been off.

It won't be worn. They usually make one side of the component harder wearing than the other - in this case Campy make to tool out of softer metal.

OP
OP
D

DrSquirrel

Update.

Campag tool fits, so took the cassette on, put it onto the new wheel/freebody (and it fits) but the lock ring doesnt, its way too small.

Eh :/

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Update.

Campag tool fits, so took the cassette on, put it onto the new wheel/freebody (and it fits) but the lock ring doesnt, its way too small.

Eh :/

Read the whole thread but still don't know whether you have a Fulcrum wheel/freehub, assuming it is and from the Fulcrum link I attached earlier, I seem to recall there are different lockrings for different (11T and 12T) Shimano cassettes? What cassette (#speed and T) are you putting on and why wouldn't the old lockring fit? I just wonder if a bog standard Shimano lockring from CRC would necessarily fit - it might, but you might want to read e.g. this first.

Over the years Campag lockrings came in at least 3 different thread sizes and iirc all requiring different lockrings for 11T/12T cassettes, and since Fulcrum is a Campag subsidiary, and given your wheel had a Fulcrum lockring (is it a Fulcrum wheel/freehub?), it might be worth treading with care shopping lockring online.

OP
OP
D

DrSquirrel

Old wheels are Fulcrum 7's, Shimano 105 Cassette, 10sp 12-25.

The new wheel is a PX 101 with Shimano freebody, I don't see why a shimano lock ring wouldn't fit on a shimano freebody/cassette - though I do see online as being a slight gamble still, LBS is not that L - so getting over there might not happen for a while, I did ask the shop (floor) staff who attend the TT last night, but nothing.

PpPete

Legendary Member
If you get a standard Shimano 12T lockring and it doesnt fit I would be surprised... but I'd buy it off you. Useful little blighters to have a spare of when one is mucking around with drive trains.

OP
OP
D

DrSquirrel

Token Shimano lock ring fits...

Problem now is the cassette isn't wide enough for the freebody on the PX hub - so when the lock ring is fully tightened, I can move the cogs back and forwards a few mm :/

Remove the freehub from my Fulcrum wheels and stick it on the PX? Or spacers

/edit - fulcrum's freehub wont fit the PX hub - no idea on what fittings there are here and there etc, so just checked it myself for now

OP
OP
D

DrSquirrel

Got myself a 1mm spacer, went into my LBS and they gave it me for nothing.

Doesn't help now that I dropped my bike, without the rear wheel in - and buggered my rear mech.

Thanks all.

Top Bottom