105 or Dura Ace BB... ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My 105 hasn't lasted that long, had FSA MegaExo before that and lasted even less.

I have either the option of another 105 for £16.50 or Dura Ace for £22.90.

Which should I go for? Would Dura Ace last longer or less?

monnet

Guru
DA will last longer. 105's good. I've got a couple that have got about 6000 miles each on them in all weathers and they're still fine but DA will go on longer and run smoother

festival

Über Member
My 105 hasn't lasted that long, had FSA MegaExo before that and lasted even less.

I have either the option of another 105 for £16.50 or Dura Ace for £22.90.

Which should I go for? Would Dura Ace last longer or less?

I would take the frame to a workshop with a high reputation and ask them to face the bb shell before fitting the new unit regardless of which one you buy.

You wouldn't believe how poor the finish is on even decent frames and how it accelerates the wear.

OP
OP
D

DrSquirrel

Thanks - I assume Dura Ace would be better running, just because its "higher spec", but I wasn't sure if that smoother running would be at the expense of service life...

I've read about "facing" the frame, so inspected it myself and it looks all okay - I assume you think it's worth it otherwise, and possibly contributed to my previous lack of life span?

Soltydog

Legendary Member
My FSA didnt last long, so at the LBS I was offered 105 or DA for similar prices to you. When I asked what the difference was he said that he'd not had to replace a DA one yet :thumbsup: That swung it for me

festival

Über Member
Thanks - I assume Dura Ace would be better running, just because its "higher spec", but I wasn't sure if that smoother running would be at the expense of service life...

I've read about "facing" the frame, so inspected it myself and it looks all okay - I assume you think it's worth it otherwise, and possibly contributed to my previous lack of life span?

you cant see the problem as a rule but a tool that costs loads of money will sort it, if used by a reliable mechanic. but it makes a big difference.

Top Bottom