105 shifters - again :(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
G

gouldina

beancounter said:
It doesn't make any difference to me, it's not my shifter that keeps breaking.

If you'd rather keep visisting your bike shop for replacements (instead of learning something about how your bike works) that's up to you.

bc

I've never broken another shifter on any of the many many bikes I've owned in 25 years of solid daily riding but hey, you're the expert.

beancounter

gouldina said:
but hey, you're the expert.

Only comparatively.

bc

beancounter

gouldina said:
:laugh: Get over yourself.

Ok, but joking (?) aside, there's now enough information on this thread to explain to you why your shifter keeps breaking and what you should do to avoid it. It's really up to you whether you do anything about it.

bc

:laugh::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

amaferanga

Veteran
I think beancounter has hit the nail on the head here. Regardless of whether or not the shifters should be breaking, they are breaking and the fact that you've broken two sets already suggests that it is related to either the way they are set-up or the way you are using them.

Your choices are:

1) Change to Ultegra shifters or the new double/triple specific 105 shifters
2) Learn how to live with your current shifters so you don't break them again
3) Carry on doing whatever it is you're doing and keep breaking shifters

OP
OP
G

gouldina

beancounter said:
Ok, but joking (?) aside, there's now enough information on this thread to explain to you why your shifter keeps breaking and what you should do to avoid it. It's really up to you whether you do anything about it.

bc

:tongue::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

amaferanga said:
I think beancounter has hit the nail on the head here. Regardless of whether or not the shifters should be breaking, they are breaking and the fact that you've broken two sets already suggests that it is related to either the way they are set-up or the way you are using them.

Your choices are:

1) Change to Ultegra shifters or the new double/triple specific 105 shifters
2) Learn how to live with your current shifters so you don't break them again
3) Carry on doing whatever it is you're doing and keep breaking shifters

There's another explanation I think you need to consider - my fingers are much more manly and strong than you guys who seem incapable of breaking these puny shifters. :becool:
Anyway as I said earlier in the thread, it looks like they're going to offer me Ultegra so I guess that's the answer here and I need no longer be concerned about it. I bloody hope so anyway.

amaferanga

Veteran
gouldina said:
There's another explanation I think you need to consider - my fingers are much more manly and strong than you guys who seem incapable of breaking these puny shifters. ;)
Anyway as I said earlier in the thread, it looks like they're going to offer me Ultegra so I guess that's the answer here and I need no longer be concerned about it. I bloody hope so anyway.

Well if you have spades for hands then I fear the Ultegra won't last long either :biggrin:

Fiona N

Veteran
Maybe some people are just unlucky :biggrin:

Let Grandma tell you a story - back in the day, Shimano did some beautiful curvy triangular platform pedals (this was before clipless) in their 600 gruppo. They were a real design leap as they had just one oversize bearing on the crank side (which meant an oversize hole in the crank, which meant using Shimano 600 cranks - so a nice sales feature). I had a pair on the bike I used for both racing (road, crits) and touring and I never had any problems in maybe 25000km of use. But as a design they had a high failure rate - the platform sheared off at the bearing part. This happened to two friends of mine - one was a big heavy bloke given to stomping on the pedals abd he broke just his first pair, the replacements were fine. The other guy was tiny, lighter than me by 5kg or so, but he broke the first pair and the replacement pair in less than 6 months. Now it's hard to make a case that he could press on the pedals anything like as hard as me or big Dave so I have to reckon he was just unlucky. Not all the pedals failed and there didn't seem to be any correlation between size/style of rider or distance/time before failure. It does happen.

But I'm glad I ordered my new bike with Campag :smile:

OP
OP
G

gouldina

I was thinking about this thread again tonight and it reminds me of when I started driving back in the early eighties and cars were rubbish and you felt had to know about mechanics just to own a car. These days cars are not only cheaper (relative to household wealth etc) but are also much, much more reliable and I can't believe anyone would want it otherwise. In the same way, I don't want expensive gear shifters that break because I'm not "knowledgeable" enough to use them. They should just work.

Top Bottom