105/ultegra/dura-ace comparison?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think performance has improved between groupsets over the years (less of a gap). DA is just that 'iccle' bit slicker and lighter. Same with the SRAM kit.

My son's X4/X5 works very well, but my X9 is that bit slicker, and lighter (as well as the clutch mech which stops chain slap). The gear shifters are smoother as they run on bearings.
I actually prefer SRAM. They have over engineered their latest stuff, I like that.

If you can, you usually go for a better rear mech, lighter and maybe stiffer, improving gear change.

I've ridden my Ultegra and DA for 25 years. Some nice touches on the DA gear that I had, like grease ports on the hubs, and ceramic bushes on the rear jockey's - just that bit smoother. The finish is usually higher on the better mechs.

As for changing a mech, I wouldn't bother unless it was worn out/damaged, then the upgrade cost isn't too bad. On a high mileage bike, things like chain rings and cassetes could cost you a fortune. A DA cassette isn't any better than a 105 cassette, other than it's lighter. Then again, if you get a SRAM cassette, that's even lighter than Shimano and works.
The DA cassette has titanium large sprockets, they are a little bit stiffer, and lighter than the lower spec sprockets, it makes for a little bit of a nicer feel, given that most folk spend relatively more time on the bigger sprockets. They are also more durable, so the cassette lasts a bit longer ( I find)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The DA cassette has titanium large sprockets, they are a little bit stiffer, and lighter than the lower spec sprockets, it makes for a little bit of a nicer feel, given that most folk spend relatively more time on the bigger sprockets. They are also more durable, so the cassette lasts a bit longer ( I find)

Massively more expensive. I don't know about large sprockets, as my DA only took a 24T max - unfortunately, due to my back, that bike is out of the question now.

I used to import my DA sprockets from the US as I was still on th UG system, rather than HG. Still have a full spare set. The sad thing is, my DA equipped bike hasn't been used in nearly 2 years :wacko: and is unlikely to be.

Take a look at some of the SRAM MTB cassettes, then look at Sunrace. You need a mortgage to buy a SRAM upper end cassette - on a mud plugging bike !

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
That's the thing, the 'clunkiness' is what makes the difference. Refinement is possibly a better term.

My old DA 'down tube' levers are nice and smooth and the click is quiet, but the Ultegra was more noisy. Bit like the modern X5 to X9 SRAM, the lever is much more smooth on the X9.

The expensive stuff works that little bit nicer, but is it worth it - dunno - I didn't buy it for that reason. I just wanted DA having had Ultegra. I used to commute on a fixed, using mid range generic Shimano stuff - Tiagra level bakes - it was fine, and the brakes worked well (once changed to Clarkes cartridge)

I ride with 105 at current, but I'd like to know what the noticeable differences are with the more expensive group sets.

Not taking into account reduced weight what's the difference? Is there a different feel?

If gear changing is smoother or more crisp - why is that?

Depends what 105 it is;if it's the old(er) 10-speed then the newer Ultegra or Dura-Ace will feel much nicer and obv have that extra cog.

If it's the newer 11-speed then it won't be much difference between that and Ultegra apart from weight.

I've just upgraded to Dura-Ace(not the new one) and it does feel nicer than the Ultegra(especially front shifts),but there's not a lot in it; mucho blingier though.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Exactly how much faster does Ultegra shift the chain 1 cog vs 105 as I have read upthread?

Beats me how anyone can notice any different.

I have 105 (5700) and when I change on the cogs it is so near instant that I can't see how anything could be notably different. Up front is snappy too - at least as far as FD's can ever be described as snappy.

S-Express

Exactly how much faster does Ultegra shift the chain 1 cog vs 105 as I have read upthread?

Not even sure it does shift faster, as the pull ratio of all the kit remains the same. But even if it does, it will be fractional differences at best, and zero benefit in terms of real world performance.

Adam4868

Guru
I reckon a lot is marketing,if it's got Ultegra on it your probably going to think it's better than 105.As I said earlier I run both and not a bit of difference to me.Id think the only difference is materials and weight of components which for the likes of most of us makes very little difference.

Last edited:

Will Spin

Über Member
I've got 105 two of my bikes and Ultegra on another two. I struggle to notice any difference between the 2 apart from Ultegra having a snazzy colour scheme, but it is not worth the extra £200 or so unless you like bling.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I ride 9 speed Sora, 10 speed SRAM APEX and 11 speed 6800 Ultegra. All change up and down very well. The SRAM is more 'clicky' and arguably shifts better on the front when going from big to small ring.
The only thing I notice is bigger gaps in ratios, particularly between the 9sp and 11sp, but then that issue won't exist with the 105/Ultegra/DA comparison.
And I have no idea what any of them weigh, since my door keys, phone and socks probably offset any variation. And my love of biscuits....

Top Bottom