105/ultegra/dura-ace comparison?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

double_dd

Über Member
I ride with 105 at current, but I'd like to know what the noticeable differences are with the more expensive group sets.

Not taking into account reduced weight what's the difference? Is there a different feel?

If gear changing is smoother or more crisp - why is that?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It all works well, but the higher the components, the lighter materials and more bling. My DA is better shifting than my Ultegra.

ozboz

Guru
I am changing my Ultegra for a 105 rear , main reason I need to get an 11-34 cassette on , so need a longer cage , weight is not an overerly big concern for me , I wouldnt think the shifting would be much different ,

Tin Pot

Guru
The quality of your cables will make far more significant difference than the tiny differences in feel betwixt the gruppos.

I've not heard that before - I buy cheap Lifeline cables. Do you mean some cables are better than others or that keeping your cables in order will make the difference?

The 105 is agricultural in feeling compared with Ultegra, Ultegra is agricultural feeling in comparison to D.A. The pull ratios are different, the springs and mechs are lighter action, so your shifts are quicker, and easier ( think improved leverage making it easier to shift the same boulder). Anyone who says is just about the weight, has obviously never compared the groupsets, and really hasn't got a scooby.

S-Express

The pull ratios are different,

The pull ratios (for the shifters) are no different.

Anyone who says is just about the weight, has obviously never compared the groupsets, and really hasn't got a scooby.

Weight is the principal difference, so yes, it is just about the weight, pretty much. I've built and raced bikes with mixes of 105, Ultegra and DA for many years without issue. A click on a 105 shifter shifts a gear, just the same as a click for a DA shifter. I'm not going to compare shift quality like some old 'wine bore' might at a tasting session.

fossyant

I think performance has improved between groupsets over the years (less of a gap). DA is just that 'iccle' bit slicker and lighter. Same with the SRAM kit.

My son's X4/X5 works very well, but my X9 is that bit slicker, and lighter (as well as the clutch mech which stops chain slap). The gear shifters are smoother as they run on bearings.

OP
OP
double_dd

double_dd

Über Member
So, is the 'feel' primarily down to the derailleurs? I.e. Different spring characteristics?

Performance I guess they all change gear! But is it the higher end groupsets just do it more quickly?

I should just go out and ride a one but don't really have any intention of changing anytime soon :whistle:

Last edited by a moderator:

Adam4868

Guru
I have 105 on one bike and ultegra on the other,both 10 speed and both roughly same mileage on them.Can I tell a difference ? No,except the name on them.

fossyant

So, is the 'feel' primarily down to the derailleurs? I.e. Different spring characteristics?

Performance I guess they all change gear! But is it the higher end groupsets just do it more quickly?

I should just go out and ride a one but don't really have any intention of changing anytime soon :whistle:

If you can, you usually go for a better rear mech, lighter and maybe stiffer, improving gear change.

I've ridden my Ultegra and DA for 25 years. Some nice touches on the DA gear that I had, like grease ports on the hubs, and ceramic bushes on the rear jockey's - just that bit smoother. The finish is usually higher on the better mechs.

As for changing a mech, I wouldn't bother unless it was worn out/damaged, then the upgrade cost isn't too bad. On a high mileage bike, things like chain rings and cassetes could cost you a fortune. A DA cassette isn't any better than a 105 cassette, other than it's lighter. Then again, if you get a SRAM cassette, that's even lighter than Shimano and works.

Last edited:
Top Bottom