106 km forum ride from Leighton Buzzard to Chilterns and Aylesbury Vale, 5th Aug 2017

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Not the typical mega-hilly northern forum ride from me this time ...

My sister has recently moved to Linslade (Leighton Buzzard) and I went down to check out her new home a couple of weeks ago.

Local CC member @shirokazan (Paul) read about my visit and suggested that we might get together while I was down so we met and went to a cafe in Leighton Buzzard where he treated me to coffee and cake. I said that I would return the favour ASAP and have decided to arrange a forum ride from LB to provide a suitable coffee/cake-opportunity!

Paul knows the local roads so it made sense to delegate the route planning to him. He has come up with what looks like a very nice route 106 km (66 miles) in length. Here is a simple map of the route, to be tackled clockwise.

LB forum ride 5-8-17 route.gif

And here is the elevation profile ...

LB forum ride 5-8-17 route profile.gif

As you can see, there is a nice flat warm up of 11 km (7 miles) before we get into the Chilterns, which are of course, er, hilly - that's the whole point of them ... They look big enough to be interesting, but not so big as to be intimidating.

Paul assures me that there are some great views to be had on the ride, and I have no reason to doubt him!

It will be a friendly, chatty ride. I would take a guess and say that we would not average less than 15 kph (9.5 mph) or more than 24 kph (15 mph) including stops. If that kind of ride appeals to you, please express your interest below!

I haven't met many riders from that area and I'm not sure that Paul has either. It would be nice to put some faces to forum names!

More details (including a GPX file of the route) will be provided in due course, but feel free to ask any questions. If I can't answer them then I am sure Paul will be able to.

shirokazan

Veteran
Paul assures me that there are some great views to be had on the ride, and I have no reason to doubt him!
Don't oversell the views, Colin! Substantial parts of the Chilterns section are in the trees but it opens out on the return leg - my favourite bit in fact is the section around Pitchcott to Cublington which, after a short uphill section, has some fine views back across to the Chilterns - great for trying to pick out where you've been! A longer variation is to head north-west from Chearsley to the fine hill of Brill (complete with restored windmill) - great views across Oxfordshire and (literally) middle (southern central) England.

toffee

Guru
Well I would be up for this. Not sure about the hills but I would give them a go.
However I am not available that weekend. If you are doing another one let me know or if this one moves dates.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

There's a nice 600 starts from there.
Only about 400 too far for me! :okay:

Well I would be up for this. Not sure about the hills but I would give them a go.
However I am not available that weekend. If you are doing another one let me know or if this one moves dates.
My sister intends living in Linslade for the next couple of years until she retires so I will be coming down at least another 4 or 5 times. In fact, I am coming down again at the end of September for her birthday so I may organise another ride on Sunday, 24th September. See if you can come along on that one?

toffee

Guru
Only about 400 too far for me! :okay:

My sister intends living in Linslade for the next couple of years until she retires so I will be coming down at least another 4 or 5 times. In fact, I am coming down again at the end of September for her birthday so I may organise another ride on Sunday, 24th September. See if you can come along on that one?

I see this could be difficult, got a feeling that weekend is out as well:sad::sad::sad:.

Oh well I am sure I'll make one of your rides

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Don't oversell the views, Colin! Substantial parts of the Chilterns section are in the trees but it opens out on the return leg - my favourite bit in fact is the section around Pitchcott to Cublington which, after a short uphill section, has some fine views back across to the Chilterns - great for trying to pick out where you've been! A longer variation is to head north-west from Chearsley to the fine hill of Brill (complete with restored windmill) - great views across Oxfordshire and (literally) middle (southern central) England.
It looks like we could turn left in Long Crendon and head north to Chilton, then northwest to Brill, heading back to the original route via Ashendon? That would only add about 13 km (8 miles). Maybe if we get good weather and we are feeling energetic, eh?

Hmmm. Not probable but not impossible
Well, it would be nice to meet you if you can make it. If not, there should be something similar at the end of September, but maybe missing out the Chilterns and heading further north.

I see this could be difficult, got a feeling that weekend is out as well:sad::sad::sad:.

Oh well I am sure I'll make one of your rides
After September, it would probably be Spring 2018.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I drove straight across the centre of your map yesterday afternoon from Ivinghoe to Thame, on the way home from a family funeral. I don't know the hills, but the views in the non-hilly part looked absolutely stunning and it certainly seems like a place you'd want to cycle. I rode through the area once, in 1976, so a return is overdue.

So, definite intent, but it depends on having use of the car for most of the day, and on me being brave enough to ask.

jayonabike