106 km forum ride from Leighton Buzzard to Chilterns and Aylesbury Vale, 5th Aug 2017

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shirokazan

Veteran
Looks a nice route. The views across to the Chilterns are better than the views from them for that section, but the woods are rather nice in their own right.

Ta, Sea of vapours. You echo my thoughts in my post of Tuesday...I usually take a route slightly further north and enjoy, on a fine day, looking south to the Chilterns. Still, this'll make a fine enough first route. I'll come up with some variations for future consideration...

shirokazan

Veteran
I could plot a route as I do all my riding in Hertfordshire Bedfordshire Buckinghamshire & Oxfordshire. I have a lovely route that goes over the Chilterns into Oxfordshire and back.
What's your starting point, jayonabike?

shirokazan

Veteran
I rode most of the route yesterday: from the start as far as Chearsley.

At Chinnor, I went past "The Wee Bookshop" which is a bookshop/cafe that has decent write-ups. I didn't stop but I noticed that it had a couple of bikes parked up outside which is a good sign!

At Thame, per Dogtrousers comments, I varied my route by going down the Cornmarket (i.e. the High Street). It was closed to traffic due to a music festival, which wasn't a problem as I hopped off the bike and walked it, giving me time to spot cafe options. The James Figg is still very much alive and kicking. Further west along the Cornmarket is Treacles Tea Rooms, which conveniently had some bike parking opposite.

After Chearsley, I ventured up to Brill before heading east via Quainton and resuming this planned route into Oving. Such is my lack of miles in the legs at the moment, I was pretty tired by the time I got home - being blasted by the sun didn't help much. At least the planned route is shorter.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Due to unforseen circumstance here I may be able to make this ride. Is the route settled?
I was sorry to hear about Mrs T's fall - I hope she is recovering well?

It would be good if you could join us.

I think that the route is pretty much settled, but we need confirmation from our route plotter, @shirokazan ...!

Once he has confirmed the route we will provide a GPX file for it.

toffee

Guru
I was sorry to hear about Mrs T's fall - I hope she is recovering well?

It would be good if you could join us.

I think that the route is pretty much settled, but we need confirmation from our route plotter, @shirokazan ...!

Well it's going to be interesting to see the route in detail. Although I have never cycled most of the route I have driven it:sad::sad:.

I'll be knackered if I average 15mph and it's not all downhill ^_^

Interested, as this is in our 'back garden'. However, @Flying Dodo is doing a Dr Bike session on 5th August and we're planning to be in Wiltshire on 24th September. Have pencilled in both dates, though.

ETA: Sorry, looks like Wiltshire is Saturday 23rd September, so Sunday 24th may well be possible!

shirokazan

Veteran

Sorry, @ColinJ, I didn't realise confirmation from me was awaited! Yes, I've cycled it twice (of sorts) and it's fine for a first CC foray out this way.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Are you back yet?
Yes, complete with my attention span of a gnat, and book of distractions! :laugh:

(Sorry, I got sidetracked by a huge intact bridge and a tiny injured friend ...)

I've reduced the number of points in shirokazan's GPX file to a number that fit my GPS's memory constraints (must be less than 500 points) and I have attached that file below. Could you take a look at the file and see if it works for you?

Attachments

• CC LB Chilterns ride.gpx
    18.5 KB · Views: 89

toffee

Guru
Looks
Yes, complete with my attention span of a gnat, and book of distractions! :laugh:

(Sorry, I got sidetracked by a huge intact bridge and a tiny injured friend ...)

I've reduced the number of points in shirokazan's GPX file to a number that fit my GPS's memory constraints (must be less than 500 points) and I have attached that file below. Could you take a look at the file and see if it works for you?

Works ok for me. Now I've got to decide weather I'll get round in the same day as the rest of you:laugh::laugh:

Top Bottom