106 km forum ride from Leighton Buzzard to Chilterns and Aylesbury Vale, 5th Aug 2017

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I noticed the risk of thunderstorms! I suspect that any lightning bolts managing to travel many miles from a cloud to my head would probably manage another few inches to the rest of you! :laugh:

At least if we get soaked, it should be towards the end of the ride. On the recent Humber Bridge ride, Littgull and I got soaked on the way to the station and then again at the start of the ride itself. It took us hours to dry out!

shirokazan

Veteran
At least if we get soaked, it should be towards the end of the ride.
Plus the wind should be pushing us back to LB. Always a bonus for the last half of a ride.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

@shirokazan - I was just looking at the start of the route (the one section that I hadn't checked before) and it looks like you are taking us down Mentmore Rd to cross the A4146. On my maps and on Street View there is no way through there. Has a cockroach <-- ha ha, auto-correct!!! Has a cycle path been built alto make that possible?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Alto = to! My phone is sneakily doing auto-correct. I think I will have to find a replacement keyboard app for it. It does auto-correct when I don't want it to and it isn't very good at predictive text either compared to my old Galaxy S4.

shirokazan

Veteran
@ColinJ. I've been thinking about the best route out of town. To avoid the worst of the traffic (which I know you prefer), there are a few alternatives...

That way is possible: at the end of Mentmore Road there's a permissive path under the bypass (A4146) but it has a section which will be a bit muddy after the recent rain (and more is forecast before we ride tomorrow). See OSM: http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/51.90063/-0.67401

However, instead I'm thinking that a better way might be through the town centre, then use the cycle path around the recreation ground that leads out onto Grovebury Road, follow Grovebury Road to the A505, cycle along that for about 500 metres, turn off onto B488 and then go through Ledburn to avoid a section of the B488.

steverob

Guru
I know I'm not doing that bit of the route with you, but the road through Ledburn, connecting with Grovebury Road is the one I'd normally choose to use when going between Aylesbury and Leighton Buzzard, so I can recommend it. Plus also it means that you'll pass under the Great Train Robbery bridge as well for a bit of history.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

What about toffee?

The new start sounds good to me. I remember the Great Train Robbery taking place when I was young and that it was in Leighton Buzzard but I didn't know the exact location.

I don't have my laptop with me so I can't edit my GPX file or reprogram my GPS but I would be following until we got out of town anyway.

The only reason I will have the GPS with me is because I like to be independent and in case I needed to take over the navigation.

Well, that is a LOT better! I've installed Google's Gboard on my phone and it is predicting sensibly, though it only seems to offer 3 predictions.

Now I will try dictating to it ... I am looking forward to the forum ride tomorrow and will see you at Leighton Buzzard station at 9 a.m.

Yay - perfect!

shirokazan

Veteran
@toffee said he couldn't make it, as I recall.

@ColinJ, for the first bit (LB rail station to Bridego Bridge), I assume you'll be happy to stick with me in the absence of a revised GPS track? After that, we're back on plan so you can jet off to Slapton and then to Ivinghoe Beacon, the Ventoux of south Bedfordshire (!)

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Ah, I skipped back through the previous page and spotted toffee mentioning trains to Euston but didn't notice that he was actually quoting Dogtrousers!

I do find it hard remembering who said what in which thread, a combination of a bad memory and spreading myself thin over multiple threads!

I don't intend going off plan after we get back on plan! I'll be happy with the route as it is without any extra bits, especially since the weather is probably going to turn iffy on us later on.

toffee

Guru
@ColinJ
@shirokazan
@Dogtrousers
@steverob

Things changed again during the week, don't you just love families, but I thought I would leave it till now before saying anything.

I now can come and despite the weather forecast of lightning and rain I will be at the station at 9am. I am intending to get the train down from Bletchley to save a few miles on my legs.

See you tomorrow

shirokazan

Veteran
I don't intend going off plan after we get back on plan! I'll be happy with the route as it is without any extra bits, especially since the weather is probably going to turn iffy on us later on.
@ColinJ be assured that these changes are very minor and only add a little to the distance (800m max). And they're on almost flat terrain.

Top Bottom