106 km forum ride from Leighton Buzzard to Chilterns and Aylesbury Vale, 5th Aug 2017

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
I know I'm not doing that bit of the route with you, but the road through Ledburn, connecting with Grovebury Road is the one I'd normally choose to use when going between Aylesbury and Leighton Buzzard, so I can recommend it. Plus also it means that you'll pass under the Great Train Robbery bridge as well for a bit of history.
Another recommendation for that part of the route, I often cycle that way the roads are fine. In fact I'll be out that way Sunday.

steverob

Guru
After that, we're back on plan so you can jet off to Slapton and then to Ivinghoe Beacon, the Ventoux of south Bedfordshire (!)

Ah, now I always describe Ivinghoe Beacon as the Chiltern's equivalent to Box Hill - in that's it's a long gradual ascent, which is rare in these parts; most climbs are short and steep!

EDIT: also the pedant in me wants to point out that the Beacon is in Buckinghamshire, though admittedly it is very close to both the Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire borders. Got to stick up for my home county - we don't exactly have much to shout about after all!

Last edited:

shirokazan

Veteran
@steverob Ah, you're right. I'd completely overlooked that it might be in another county - probably because Whipsnade (and its lion) are in Bedfordshire. So, yes, I shall now describe it as the Ventoux of mid-Buckinghamshire!

Also, tomorrow, I'll point out to Colin about the border changes - especially now that I've seen at which points we move across counties. The ride encompasses 4 counties as you probably know already: Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Hertfordshire and Oxfordshire.

See you tomorrow!

toffee

Guru
The weather looks good! See you soon.

That's a new definition of good:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Screenshot_2017-08-05-07-59-39-640x400.png

I suppose it's better than the lightning forecast last night.

MOB

Shame I've missed this as I live in Chinnor but had to visit family in Nottinghamshire.

Still, my fitness is very poor as, since I cycled from Newcastle to Edinburgh on the Coasts to Castles route in April, I've done minimal cycling do to long hours at work and family. Hope the ride goes well.

toffee

Guru
Thanks for organising the ride Colin.

Good day not much rain despite the forecast.

Bit knackered will sleep well tonight

Will be up for another one in September hopefully

shirokazan

Veteran
Yep, a great day. Only one real bit of rain and no lightning - apologies @steverob, I know you had to dodge some but strictly speaking that was on your way to the ride and not part of the actual ride route. :tongue::whistle:

Like @toffee, I'm a bit exhausted - haven't yet acquired the necessary miles in the legs so far this year - and after Whitchurch, my legs started to turn to jelly. @ColinJ on the other hand was only just getting going by that final leg! As for @Dogtrousers, hope you made it home alright - at least you got back to the rail station: we were getting worried about your sudden disappearance.

And thanks, Colin, for the coffee and cake in Chinnor.

Thank you, all. Hopefully, see you next month.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Thanks everyone - that was a very enjoyable ride.

We were very lucky to dodge the storm - my sister said that there was a stupendous storm in Leighton Buzzard!

I WAS feeling better and better as the ride went on. I take ages to warm up on rides these days.

@MOB - it was a shame that you couldn't make it. Keep your eyes open for another ride at the end of September.

Special thanks to @shirokazan for planning the route, which was exactly the kind of thing that I was looking for. I reckon about 85% of it was on quiet/quietish roads or cycle paths, and it would have been difficult to improve on that without riding a lot further.

My total for the day was 111 km, or 69 miles for the imperialists.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I forgot to mention that I really liked the Wee Bookshop in Chinnor. The staff were friendly, the coffee and cake were nice and prices weren't too bad.

PS They had a copy of Chris Hoy's biography for £1.50, if anyone in the area is interested.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
we don't exactly have much to shout about after all!
Other than quiet roads and more than enough hills for anyone within a £4.10 train ride of anywhere in London. And quirky museums (open-air/Roald Dahl), stately homes (Waddesdon/Clivedon/Wing) and pretty towns (Wendover/Amersham/Risborough). And several breweries and bottleshops.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Glad it all seems to have gone well.

I have provisional approval for September 24th from the relevant authority, so anyone afraid they may be holding everyone could have someone else to blame.

In all seriousness, what was the moving average speed for Saturday's ride?

Top Bottom