11-30 cassette with Ultegra 6800

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I've had a bit of a search and can't find an answer so thought I'd ask.
I'm considering changing to an 11-30 from an 11-28 cassette. I've got a short cage derailleur and 52-36 on the front.
There seems to be some conflicting advise and opinions. Most of what I've read suggests that the 6800 series is fine up to 30t with some suggesting that it'll take up to 32t and it's only the Dura Ace which is still restricted to 28t, however, some of what I've read seems to be suggesting cataclysmic issues on a world wide scale if you even consider such a thing as 30t with a short cage.
Anybody know the definitive answer? My gut is telling me that it'll be fine as it would appear from the majority that the 6870 was up to 28t whereas the 6800 is a bit more versatile, but I'd rather not get it and find I'm wrong as I have no intention of buying a new derailleur as well, I'm not that bothered about 2 extra teeth.

Jody

Stubborn git
Can't help with a definitive short cage quandry but I swapped from a 30 to a 34 last week on a med cage Tiagra. No issues other than adjusting the screw next to the hanger.

The only issue might come from running large/large which you wouldn't normally be doing.

pawl

Legendary Member
I changed to long cage Ultegra because I wanted a 32 cog l put the new cassette on the wheel.As a matter of interest I tried it with the short cage,it appeared to work ok on the work stand.As I all ready had the longer cage I didn’t bother trying it on the road.If you haven’t already bought the alternative rd

Joffey

Big Dosser
I'd say with a short cage mech you might struggle with the chain length but if you don't want to run large - large rings it won't make a difference.

OP
OP
Mugshot

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
That all sounds very promising, I don't run big to big anyway, or small/small for that matter. I'm going to push the button and then blame you lot if it all goes Pete Tong. Thank you :okay:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I just setup a 32 with a short cage 6800 for a friend as his long cage hits the body of his turbo trainer. It is very tight with the B screw right in, although I did not have to resort to reversing it. I was under the impression that 30 tooth was supported officially anyway and Shimano are always a bit cautious, but maybe that is with a 50/34 on the front.

OP
OP
Mugshot

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I just setup a 32 with a short cage 6800 for a friend as his long cage hits the body of his turbo trainer. It is very tight with the B screw right in, although I did not have to resort to reversing it. I was under the impression that 30 tooth was supported officially anyway and Shimano are always a bit cautious, but maybe that is with a 50/34 on the front.
Some of what I've read does seem to suggest that 6800 will automatically take a 30t, but, as I said above, other bits don't seem quite so confident. I will say that the bits that say you can do seem to be either more official or at least more knowledgeable, so fingers crossed.

OP
OP
Mugshot

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Quick update. Cassette and chain arrived, all fitted and running and changing sweetly. I'll see if everything works as it should on the road on this afternoons commute. One little thing though, the cassette I put on was silver, whereas the one I've taken off was black, hope that wont cause any issues :whistle::blush:

Top Bottom