11 - 34 rear cassette (11 speed)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Can you really run anything less than 38t on a 130bcd set up? I always thought 38t was the minimum. Just curious. My Red setup is a 53:39 and there doesn't seem much space to go smaller. My 110 bcd is 50:34

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Can you really run anything less than 38t on a 130bcd set up? I always thought 38t was the minimum. Just curious. My Red setup is a 53:39 and there doesn't seem much space to go smaller. My 110 bcd is 50:34
I will check but im sure it says 130bcd...........if it is 110 then i can get small rings upfront

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
If its 130 BCD then 38T is the smallest. 110 bcd will go down to 34T. Well, 33T technically, but 33T chainrings are unobtainable and barely worth the bother.

Jerry Atrik

Veteran
When I was going on a similar trip my LBS put a Deore rear mech on my 105 set and changed the cassette down from 10 to 9 speed and 28 up to 34 and worked fine .

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
It might be down to wrap capability of the rear mech

16+25 = 41 and i think the sram force long cage is 39

But if i can get it to work my legs will thank me for it in the alps
You can usually bend the official gear tooth rules by two or three teeth, I've found. You might not get TdF-slick changes, but if you're touring, who cares?

OP
OP
J

jowwy

If its 130 BCD then 38T is the smallest. 110 bcd will go down to 34T. Well, 33T technically, but 33T chainrings are unobtainable and barely worth the bother.
Loads of 33t rings on wiggle and spa cycles for 110bcd

OP
OP
J

jowwy

When I was going on a similar trip my LBS put a Deore rear mech on my 105 set and changed the cassette down from 10 to 9 speed and 28 up to 34 and worked fine .
Im running sram force 22

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Im toying with going 1x11........42 upfront and 11-42 rear with sram force 1 rear mech

Im not bothered about spinning out on the descents as i always freewheel if above 27mph anyway

Top Bottom