11 - 34 rear cassette (11 speed)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Guru
I agree that going from a 34 to a 33 inner chainring is marginal, but noticeable. Also combined with the new 11-34 11sp cass is significant and worth the expense if you're planning lots of hilly rides

@jowwy,

Do you have a proper bike shop local to you, they usually have supplier systems that make searching for these things easy and 24-48 delivery (to the shop) and you support local business too. A quick call to your local shop would have this sorted in 5 minutes ready to collect shortly after.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
@jowwy,

Do you have a proper bike shop local to you, they usually have supplier systems that make searching for these things easy and 24-48 delivery (to the shop) and you support local business too. A quick call to your local shop would have this sorted in 5 minutes ready to collect shortly after.
in a word - NO..........and i'd rather support myself than local business, cause i'm sure they wouldn't support me if i was short on cash one day

in a word - NO..........and i'd rather support myself than local business, cause i'm sure they wouldn't support me if i was short on cash one day
Have you even had a quote? How do you know they are more expensive? Or do you mean there is no shop local to you?

I'm all for open markets and efficiencies, but most wouldn't even consider popping into an LBS for a small component, very often they don't charge much more than wiggle etc, and will price match if you are a regular. You just have to ask.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jowwy

Have you even had a quote? How do you know they are more expensive? Or do you mean there is no shop local to you?

I'm all for open markets and efficiencies, but most wouldn't even consider popping into an LBS for a small component, very often they don't charge much more than wiggle etc, and will price match if you are a regular. You just have to ask.
1.....dont need a quote, will get prices and do work myself
2......brick and mortar shops are always more expensive, especially in rural south wales
3.....closest shop is 8 miles away and the service is shocking

and why would i want to go to my LBS.......it offers me nothing more than i can get online and i have no need for their servicing as i build all my own bikes from frameset upwards. But thanks for advising me on how to spend MY money

bpsmith

Veteran

Have you actually tried to get your LBS to price match Online pricing? If you succeed in that, then you'll actually be costing them money rather than supporting them, according to my range of LBS. That includes both a single small shop owners, and also a chain that is known nationally. Neither of them can buy in at the price that online companies sell for.

jiberjaber

Veteran
There are 11-34 cassettes for the Shimano Ultegra 11s, it's listed as an option with Di2 group sets. It may be worth trying www.bike-components.de

Edited to add
SRAM has a 11s 11-34 cassette, as that's what I've got on my SRAM Rival on the Pro Carbon

Looks like its not a R8000 cassette that's supplied in that option but a HG800 (see text description here: https://www.bike-components.de/en/Shimano/CS-R8000-11-speed-Ultegra-Cassette-p58015/ )

Here's the link to the HG800 11-34

https://www.bike-components.de/en/Shimano/CS-HG800-11-11-speed-Cassette-p58013/

I use a 11-34 (10sp Tiagra) on my CdF with a compact so I get a 1 to 1 and in that gear if the gradient is >20% its hard to stay upright at the speed it gives me - though I did find it easier to balance when it had panniers on.

On my Ti bike I have a 11-32 11sp and because the bike is a good 5-6kg lighter it is just as easy if not better on the 32t.

I've bought a road link to experiment with larger cassettes on the Ti bike for some long audax to Wales etc but seeing the 11-34 in 11sp I might give that a whir first :smile:

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Looks like its not a R8000 cassette that's supplied in that option but a HG800 (see text description here: https://www.bike-components.de/en/Shimano/CS-R8000-11-speed-Ultegra-Cassette-p58015/ )

Here's the link to the HG800 11-34

https://www.bike-components.de/en/Shimano/CS-HG800-11-11-speed-Cassette-p58013/

I use a 11-34 (10sp Tiagra) on my CdF with a compact so I get a 1 to 1 and in that gear if the gradient is >20% its hard to stay upright at the speed it gives me - though I did find it easier to balance when it had panniers on.

On my Ti bike I have a 11-32 11sp and because the bike is a good 5-6kg lighter it is just as easy if not better on the 32t.

I've bought a road link to experiment with larger cassettes on the Ti bike for some long audax to Wales etc but seeing the 11-34 in 11sp I might give that a whir first :smile:
I used a 40t in the alps with a road link and 46/34 front.....i might go back to that setup yet

Top Bottom