11 Miles Biking?

Could You Comfortably Ride To and From A University 11 Miles Away 3 Days A Week With A Backpack?

• Yes

Votes: 84 92.3%
  • No

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Maybe

Votes: 5 5.5%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zapshe

Hi guys, I was wondering how difficult a bike ride for 11 miles (going this distance twice, to and fro, 22 miles overall) would be. It'll be a generally down hill path. On the way back, it'll obviously become uphill. I thought I could ride the bike to my university instead of taking the car. I'm gonna try it out to see how it feels, but I'd like some feedback first. It'll be for 3 days a week.

When on my bike for fun, I might ride for several hours in a row, going down hills, around the neighborhood, and things like that. I never measured, but I'm sure I cover many several miles. However, this would be the first time I'd ride a bike with the intention of getting somewhere far and will carry a backpack. How intensive would 11 miles be in that regard? Thanks!

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
You'll be fine.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
You will be fine. With regards to your new MTB and a rucksack: Consider a rack if you go for a hardtail and panniers. I get the feeling from watching a few new bikepacking videos on YouTube that panniers are coming back in. Fashion and bikes are funny things and you’ll be ahead of the game

Also: bikes with racks look the business. Tough, useful, and they protect the bike a little.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Easy. My work commute is 10.5 miles each way and I ride it fast because there are showers at work. It takes me about 35-40 minutes so you should easily do it in less than 1hr without degenerating into a sweaty mess.
I use a pannier for my bag and suggest you do the same, especially if you are carrying lots of files and books for your studies.
It might take a couple of months to get comfortable doing 3 trips all the time. Maybe start off doing alternate trips by bicycle and car and gradually reduce the amount of car trips if you feel ok.

EDIT: On the days I cycle I find I am more awake, alert and positive right from the start of the day and for more of the day than when I drive. I can sometimes be quite lethargic and find it difficult to have any motivation on a driving day!

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Make sure you invest in good security measures if locking a high value bike at university and have to leave it outside. I would have a rack if riding that far with any stuff (attach the backpack to it, obviously making sure no straps are loose). I'm also wary of carrying anything hard like electronics on my back in case of accident.

You can buy the equipment as you'll be saving by not driving

OP
OP
zapshe

zapshe

Thanks everyone for those replies! I thought it would be no problem, too. My family made me sound like a madman when I suggested the idea.

All the advice for locking up and dealing with the backpack were very helpful, thanks for that ! Love this forum ! ^_^

mangid

Guru
I commute and have never had issues with a sweaty back.

I've been using an Ortlieb Flight 27 daily for the past 10+years, it's waterproof and large enough for most of my needs. I can get a 15" laptop and clothes in it, spare lights, toolkit, etc.. It has an an external frame so is very will vented. I think today I would go for the Packman Pro2. Ortlieb are expensive, but come with a 5 year guarantee, and are very good quality.

Top Bottom