11 Miles Biking?

Could You Comfortably Ride To and From A University 11 Miles Away 3 Days A Week With A Backpack?

• Yes

Votes: 84 92.3%
  • No

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Maybe

Votes: 5 5.5%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickAKA

Über Member
Security issues aside, cycling in will be much better for your soul, your health & your wallet (I'd prioritise it that way).
If you're not too flash and you lock it up securely you should be fine. Lock it up next to the most bling looking bike in the rack with the worst lock on it, most thieves are opportunists and will always go for the low hanging fruit.
The distance itself is no problem if you're reasonably fit, and after a few months it'll be the proverbial walk in the park. Invest in some suitable attire, keep on top of basic maintenance (tyres, brakes, keep the chain clean & lubed), a pannier rack with a bag with a shoulder strap you can unclip & carry around would be a sound investment. Carry as little as you can get away with, you don't need to be a disaster prepper for an hour commute. It'll be great!

Serge

Über Member
Security issues aside, cycling in will be much better for your soul, your health & your wallet (I'd prioritise it that way).
If you're not too flash and you lock it up securely you should be fine. Lock it up next to the most bling looking bike in the rack with the worst lock on it, most thieves are opportunists and will always go for the low hanging fruit.
The distance itself is no problem if you're reasonably fit, and after a few months it'll be the proverbial walk in the park. Invest in some suitable attire, keep on top of basic maintenance (tyres, brakes, keep the chain clean & lubed), a pannier rack with a bag with a shoulder strap you can unclip & carry around would be a sound investment. Carry as little as you can get away with, you don't need to be a disaster prepper for an hour commute. It'll be great!
Agree entirely. Worry more about the bike you want before worrying about whether it'll get stolen. I'm surprised people aren't put off cycling for life after reading this thread.

Get the best bike you can easily afford and enjoy it.

krysmt

Thanks everyone for those replies! I thought it would be no problem, too. My family made me sound like a madman when I suggested the idea.

All the advice for locking up and dealing with the backpack were very helpful, thanks for that ! Love this forum ! ^_^

Your commute is just a hair more than what mine will be when I start on the bike, so I am so glad you asked this question!

Top Bottom