11 Miles Biking?

Could You Comfortably Ride To and From A University 11 Miles Away 3 Days A Week With A Backpack?

• Yes

Votes: 84 92.3%
  • No

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Maybe

Votes: 5 5.5%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
zapshe

zapshe

No-one holds on to a chain link with their hand to cut it with a grinder. What they'll do is pull the locked item/chain away from what it's locked to so the chain is under tension and hold the grinder with their other free hand.

Yes, this is true. its just that I hope that they wont feel safe using such a tool with one hand. Plus the individual link may move up and down from the force regardless of the right and left tension applied. Once that is done, whether easy or hard for them since I will also modify that one with the same materials - Now they have to go through the other lock that's much thicker (took about a minute for the angle grinder in angle grinder tests) that has also been modified extensively.

If one lock goes through the front wheel and body, and the second through the back wheel and body, what parts can they steal other than the seat?

Thanks for the other advice guys, I don't actually sweat a lot. I find that whenever I exert energy (even if for hours at a time), 5-10 minutes in air conditioning will have be fine again like I wasn't even outside.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Theory is all very well, but THIS is the more likely outcome in many places!

Alan O

Über Member
[QUOTE 5326573, member: 45"]I've locked a bike at university, hospitals and city centres for years (all high-theft areas) and never had a problem. [/QUOTE]
And my Nan smoked all her life and didn't get cancer - anecdote is not data.

Alan O

Über Member
It is worth, if you have a place to keep them at Uni, to invest in a spare track pump, a couple of spare inner tubes, maybe some chain oil if you get a lot of rain.
Those I mean in addition of the spare inner, mini pump and mini tool that you should have on the bike at all times.
Wow, students must be a lot better off than we were in my day - one pump and a puncture repair kit (and a can of 3-in-1 that my granddad gave me) is all I could stretch to, and my one pair of tubes lasted for my full three years :whistle:

And you try telling that...

Alan O

Über Member
I voted No in the poll, but only because of the backpack - my back sweats horribly, and I also feel unbalanced if I have any weight in one. I've always used a rack and whatever attached bags are appropriate - panniers, top bag, or both. In my uni days my bag was usually a plastic carrier bag secured with bungees. But the distance should be fine.

On the security front, my bike looked ratty, because it was obviously old and with a deteriorating paint job - and usually dirty, because I rarely cleaned it except for the chain. But it was actually quite a nice Ernie Clements Falcon, and it's the bike that even to this day I've probably covered the most miles on. It's definitely possible to get a decent bike that looks like a pile of junk.

I used to lock it in the uni bike racks with a reasonably thick cable lock - obviously fairly easy to cut, but the cable was thicker than most in the same rack, and the bike looked a lot less valuable than most. My theory was that a thief would want to be quick and would go for the most obvious combination of nice bike and weak lock.

And I think it paid off. One evening a friend and I cycled into uni for an event, and we locked our bikes next to each other to railings outside the venue, with similar locks. His was an almost brand new bike which looked flash, though mine was actually a better bike underneath. When we came out, his cut lock was on the ground and his bike was gone, while mine was still there. Thankfully he was insured and they paid out. We mused at the time that we should have put each lock through both bikes, but I guess it's possible that might have led the thief to cut both and take both bikes - hard to say really.

Another friend at the time had the theory that buying super cheap rat bikes and not even locking them up was the way to go - and to be fair to him, they looked like bikes that you'd throw in to the canal rather than trying to rescue, and each one probably cost less than a lock. But by the time we parted at the end of our courses, he'd had about 6 or 7 bikes stolen - I suspect by drunks looking to get home.

Last edited:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Wow, students must be a lot better off than we were in my day - one pump and a puncture repair kit (and a can of 3-in-1 that my granddad gave me) is all I could stretch to, and my one pair of tubes lasted for my full three years :whistle:

And you try telling that...
I'm not a student lol
Still, @zapshe said they run a car, probably a spare bike pump won't break the bank :laugh:
I thought I could ride the bike to my university instead of taking the car.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
After talking with this forum, I may just take my car instead!
:laugh:

vickster

Legendary Member
After talking with this forum, I may just take my car instead!
Ignore the naysayers who live in seemingly extremely dodgy parts of London.
Where is your uni? How big a campus is it? Can you talk to campus security about bike parking, and get a Fahg lock and a big chain with a QR seatpost as suggested.
Maybe get a $500 hardtail if you don’t fancy a clunker (I wouldn’t either and lock my bikes in well trafficked places with two D locks and a cable, securing frame and wheels

OP
OP
zapshe

zapshe

NOOOooooooooooo!

It was all going so well.

Ignore the naysayers who live in seemingly extremely dodgy parts of London.
Where is your uni? How big a campus is it? Can you talk to campus security about bike parking, and get a Fahg lock and a big chain with a QR seatpost as suggested.

Well, I suppose I can take a bike and car on and off together (depending on what I find out when I investigate the university bike theft situation). I am still wanting to buy a bike. I've read around forums for the university and there have been bike thefts, mainly because you can't tell a bike thief from any normal student on an open campus. However, there is not nearly as much theft as other places such as New York. Once I investigate the university a bit, I'll feel more comfortable taking my bike.

When I get the bike, I will use the measures that I described earlier with the locks I've mentioned. If they REALLY want my bike, I can't stop the locks from being 100% theft proof. However, I heard that bikes here are locked up using rather easy to defeat locks! So the best case scenario is that the thieves here are small time amateurs with wire cutters, maybe bigger tools, and will find my locks impossible to break. I'll have to see for myself when I go to investigate and talk to the officers there about bike thefts.

Thanks everyone ! I love you all!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
zapshe

zapshe

I tried this approach some years back, my bike lasted three days securely locked at the railway station.

Do you mean it was stolen after three days, or that you left it there three days and it was fine?

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Do you mean it was stolen after three days, or that you left it there three days and it was fine?
I used the bike and left it there every day for three days. And then it was gone, except the cut steel chain and padlock. They left that behind.

Top Bottom