1200 bikes stolen per day in UK ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

joebingo

Über Member
Watched a program on tv about police in Kent setting up a sting for bike thieves.

They planted a mtb outside a medical center frequented by drug abusers.

They followed it to a house where all kinds of crime was occuring and arrested the thief.

The frightening fact mentioned in the programme was the incredible figure of 1200 stolen bikes per day in UK.

I am sure the Final Police Warning issued to the thief will act as a real detterent.:wacko:

Hey Banjo,

I worked on the program and can tell you that it's true, we got the information from the Police, we wouldn't be able to broadcast it if it were otherwise.

I've taken my bike to either a bike shop or the car park which has secure bike boxes when heading to Nottingham city centre, Freewheel charge a pound and the car park is 60p. All I've ever heard is that city centres and bikes don't go so why take any risk. Guy at the local bike shop here in Oxford says regardless of what d-lock you have there's no point in locking your bike up in the city centre for any length of time. Good advice but a sad reflection on the UK.

I'd like to see a lot more secure areas for locking bikes up in. There is The Bike Park in Leicester who will look after your bike all day for a quid which I use when in town. It's just nice knowing that I'm not going to come back to an empty bike rack. I think though there is a case for more places like this or for busineses to offer some sort of bike park the way that they have a car park. I'm sure a way of doing it cheaply and effectively could be worked out.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Well I locked mine up last night in the centre of Bristol for a couple of hours and it was still there when I got back ... though this thread did make me nervous.

Top Bottom