1200 miles through 6 countries - Sept 2013

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Hi All

I am attempting a long ride, beginning on 21st September in Barcelona and ending 2 weeks later in Hatfield (Herts).

The ride starts in Barcelona and the first 3 days are likely to be the toughest as we head North and into the Pyrenees! Day two is the hardest, as we wind our way up into Andorra. The third day will see us exit the mountains and down into Toulouse. We continue our journey up through France and pass through Paris, on the way into Belgium. Next stop the Netherlands, before a brief day of respite on a ferry from the Hook of Holland to Harwich. The final leg of the journey is from Harwich to our head office at Hatfield, with around 1200 miles under our belts and 6 countries having being ridden through!

The ride is being organised through work and our charity commission with a view to raising as much as possible for our very worth charity partners:
  • Alzheimer's Society
  • Prostate Cancer UK
  • Teenage Cancer Trust
Any donations and funds raised will go 100% to these organisations because the cost of the trip is being paid for jointly, between myself and my company (Computacenter).

If anybody could help to contribute towards my target of £2000, I would be really appreciative!
Thanks in advance, if you are able to make a donation, no matter how small :smile:

You can donate online via this link or follow the link in my signature. I will be setting up a blog soon, to track progress in terms of training, fund raising and of course the ride itself. Any tips for riding the Pyrenees or indeed a long ride of this nature will be welcomed.

Cheers!

Reactions: 4F
OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I fly out tomorrow *gulp*

Cheers to folk who have sponsored me :smile:
The final itinerary and GPS routes have just been finalised. The first 2 or 3 days will be quite difficult but I am really looking forward to it.

Day 1 (Saturday): Barcelona to Berga - 64.47 miles
Day 2 (Sunday): Berga to Andorra - 62.97 miles
Day 3 (Monday): Andorra to Toulouse Lavour - 111.63 miles
Day 4 (Tuesday): Toulose Lavour to Labastide-Murat - 76.53 miles
Day 5 (Wednesday): Rest Day
Day 6 (Thursday): Labastide-Murat to Limoges - 98.26 miles
Day 7 (Friday): Limoges to Chatereux - 72.30 miles
Day 8 (Saturday): Chatereux to La Chappelle - 83.75 miles
Day 9 (Sunday): La Chapelle Saint Mesmin to Paris - 77.12 miles
Day 10 (Monday): Rest Day
Day 11 (Tuesday): Paris to Saint Quentin - 85.44 miles
Day 12 (Wednesday): Saint Quentin to Brussells - 94.28 miles
Day 13 (Thursday): Brussells to Hook (ferry) - 108.3 miles
Day 14 (Friday): Harwich to Hatfield - 85.5miles

There is a dedicated car driver who will be recording our progress and updating a Blog - here's the link to it, if you fancy having a read:
http://ccprojectrider.blogspot.co.uk

Edited to include a profile of Day 2:
1zeayio.png

Cheers!

Last edited:
Looks like they are going well.

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Cheers, yep! All ok and no terrible problems. Currently in Paris, after a rest day. We roll to St Quentin tomorrow and I am looking forward to being back on the bike. Arrived here late yesterday afternoon and headed straight for the Eiffel tower then Champs Elysee and a cpl of laps of the Arc d Triumph... mental traffic but quite good fun!

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Back in Blighty! Wonderful trip and the first week or so, to Paris was exceptional. I felt the ride went a little flat, after that and seemed more like a journey home, than something to work towards. Nevertheless it was a fantastic experience, overall and I saw some awesome scenery and cycled on all manner of roads :smile:

I will add a few piccies when they have all been uploaded and gathered by the folks who were taking most of them. Here's a quick look at the route we did, stage-by-stage. Work your way up, from the bottom :thumbsup:

Big thanks to those from here who sponsored me!! :smile:

35168tv.png

2zfvqc5.png

1z3tc9x.png

hvrxcm.png

vq2p1k.png

oj32g1.png

2zhkzyc.png

2v00ief.png

23jpwux.png

28h0dib.png

dlkf3m.png